ATTN: Computer Heads...

I’m not on any computer forums, so maybe one of you guys can field this for me because I’m stumped.

Microsoft released a test version of Vista for the first 100,000 downloads, Shaggy posted it the other day. I downloaded and burned the ISO to DVD, rebooted and proceeded to set it up on a new partition. It ended up telling me that I could not install on that drive for whatever reason. OK whatever then I took the disk out and rebooted expecting it to just boot back into Windows, but it then says “Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter.” WTF? So I go through and pop in the Windows XP CD and run through the setup (It’s a bootable CD), restart the computer and it boots fine. I take the CD out and restart and get the Disk Boot Error again…

So the computer will only boot to Windows if I’m using the CD, and I’ve changed the BIOS to boot CD first and also HDD first both with the same results. Not sure if something is stuck on the HDD that’s not allowing it to boot correct and it’s relying on the CD or what, but you guys got any ideas?

Thanks.

Vista did the same shit to my Laptop!!! Stupid Microsoft! Exceot I bought my laptop from someone and dont have a bootable Windows disk. I tried to boot with the Vista disk, cause I acually ordered the CD’s, and it wont work that way either. It wont even let me into the Bios…

sounds like it may have written over the master boot record. You could try the xp disk and go into the recovery console and do a “fixmbr” command. If you have another comp. and symantec’s ghost program, it might be advisable to pop the drive in another machine and do a bit by bit copy of the current drive just so you have the data should something go even more wrong…

edit the boot ini file to that of a working computer…

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT=“Microsoft Windows XP Professional” /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

should work?