strange problem installing XP SP2 (dual boot w/vista64)

I have Vista 64 installed and wanted to install XP on another partition for doing side work (pretty much so I don’t have a bunch of games and other stuff installed on the same system to muck it up).

I split the primary partition with Vista’s disk partitioner, created a new disk and formatted it in a NTFS. I restarted the machine and booted the windows install disk. I picked the partition to install it to and it starts copying the temporary files to the hard drive for the install and once complete asks to hit [Enter] of wait 15 seconds to restart the machine.

On reboot though, after it asks to “hit any key to boot from cd-rom”, when it would normally start the GUI based part of the setup it doesn’t do anything. It just sits at the DOS screen asking to hit a key to boot from the cd-rom, but 3 or 4 ANSI type colored squares show up on screen (the size of a normal “character”). The computer isn’t locked up though… the underscore after the “boot from cd” text is still flashing and I can CTRL+ALT+DEL to reboot just fine. If I try hitting enter or something though, it doesn’t do anything as far as booting the cd (actually, nothing happens)

I killed the partition, created a new one and tried re-installing like 3 times and does the same thing every time. Does anyone have any ideas? I got fed up and just fixed the /boot and /mbr through the console and went back to vista for the time being.

My system specs:
DFI P35-t2rl BloodIron
Intel C2Q 6600 @ 3Ghz
4Gb G-Skill ddr2 800mhz
nVidia 8800GT 512mb
WD 500gb sata HDD

I can honestly say that this is the first time I’ve ever had a problem with XP. Vista installs and runs just fine though, odd (both 32 and 64). I did a search online and couldn’t find anyone that had the same problem.

Improperly setup/corrupt boot.ini file?

doesn’t XP write over it though after it copies the initial setup files?

steve use fdisk for that shit, best partition utility, fuck that gui shit within windows.

and make sure those partitions are active, if they are not active they wont boot.

well, at first I used the GUI based tool in vista.

the other 2 times I used the one built into the XP setup program (which I assume would turn into the primary partition). This has always worked with past systems, so not sure why it’s giving me a problem now

I didnt say primary, i said ACTIVE

lol

lol either way, wouldn’t XP’s setup take care of that? How can I check? The partition shows up fine in vista and the XP setup partitioner

Is it possible that it doesn’t like the nVidia card for whatever reason? That was my first thought, but who knows.

Is there a way to install XP via a DOS based GUI opposed to the fancy gui?

i dunno i never use those to dual boot, i use fdisk and make 2 partitions both active and bootable, you can grab a HDD utility and make sure that the MBR isnt fucked up either.

grab hirens boot disk, lots of good HDD utilities on there.

thats not it i dont think, its the partion im thinking, but who knows without actually seeing it.

I’ll give it a try, it’s worth a shot at this point. If I wasn’t so lazy, I’d just format the whole disk, install XP, then vista

thats what i would do, i get so sick of shit i cant figure out i just reformat and reimage.

lol im lazy, got my drive in steve so im gunna reformat and get the raid going then i can do your xbox

cool, thanks kevin :tup:

yeah also, let me know about that other stuff too, im out.

np man

you two could have basically had an IM conversation in 1/2 the time.

IM ports blocked at work

lol unblock them, edit the hosts file :slight_smile:

lol I value my career

well you were right kevin. Installing now. I’m surprised it didn’t give an error message about it. Thanks again