Windows re-install help needed, like now!

Well, I’m trying to re-install XP Home on my desktop computer (I’m posting from my laptop). I tried just restarting the computer with the disk in the CD drive, but it didn’t work. So, I ran the CD while in windows, and told it to reinstall windows…

It copied a whole bunch of setup files to my hard drive, which would be OK except that now it won’t let me delete the fucking partition… and I don’t have any un-partitioned space (at least not enough to install windows).

How the fuck do I re-install windows without it copying setup files to my drive?? I want to do it straight from the CD so that I can delete the partition.

Maybe check here :kekegay:

http://www.pittspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22322

thanks, but I didn’t want to post it in the same thread… I made a more specific one for the purpose that I have… fucking asshat.

is your boot priority set up rgiht??

in bios make set it up to boot from the CD before the hard drive

damn, then maybe post it in on-topic

U gotta go into ur bios and have ur computer boot from the cd not the hard drive. You restart ur pc, and it will say to hit like esc or most common DEL keep tapping it the whole time its rebooting until u hear beeping. Then stop. Keep slapping the right arrow until u get to the boot section. Then make it boot from ur cd drive first not ur hard drive. Then after that its easy fallow along steps

i got chad on AIM… :slight_smile: he walked me through the bios thing already.

ok then ur set from there. Good luck

fucking bullshit fucking boot disk setup nonsense that doesn’t create disks that fucking work… :mad:

you would not fucking believe this shit… I had the CD in the CD drive, and it wouldn’t fucking boot from the CD… so I put the CD in the DVD drive and it works like it fucking should…

yes i would believe that shit… i work in computers

I just figured I should put a CD into the CD drive… imagine that concept!

:bigok:

:eek4: :doh:

The only problem I’ve ever had with Windows install is that sometimes USB keyboards w usb>ps2 adapter do not work at the license agreement screen when you are asked to press the F8 key to accept the agreement, all the other keys seem to work but the F keys. Other than that, haven’t had prob’s deleting partitions, etc.

Are you running the repair or doing a clean install?

wow really, thats a tight space to be working in :smiley:

:rofl:

yeah… i’m guessing she was trying to boot from the secondary disc drive the whole time…

Clean install… figured it best to start over fresh.

And how the fuck was I supposed to know which was which??? All it said was “IDE CD-ROM DEVICE” so I assume that’s the CD drive (Chad assumed that too!) not the DVD-R drive.

Anyways, install is done, now just have to figure out what’s wrong w/ the network card… sheesh.

Drivers?

XP usually recognizes most wired NICs. Wireless you may need to get the drivers off the CD

probably… but it is an internal card, and not wireless… my computer guy here said he would look at it if I can’t fix it during lunch.