Attn: People who live or used to live outside of WNY.

Oh, and I was hoping ultradriver10000 would chime in. I’m thinking about Texas too.

I haven’t lived outside of Buffalo, but in 1-1/2 years I’ll be living in either Laurel or Columbia, MD. Great job opportunities, well-off school districts, pretty damn good weather, suburbs of Baltimore so you have the big city near if you want to go out, it’s basically the Amherst/Clarence of Baltimore. Cost of living is relatively close to Buffalo’s, maybe a few grand more due to property taxes, but the salary for teachers compared to what I would make anywhere in NYS is much more.

I’ve had plans to move since I was 12-13 yrs old, it has taken me 8ish years to finally decide on a place I would like to start over in.

Sidenote: I’ve literally traveled across the entire continental US, by far my favorite places have been Sedona, AZ and Encinitas, CA…those would be my dream places to live once I retire.

You didn’t mention what you are planning on getting a degree in but I would think depending on the degree it would play a decent role in finding a city with the right school.

Are you kidding? Unless you have family willing to let you live for free in those areas I’d never move there.

Where is/was it? Houston, TX

Pros/Cons? Warm weather,great jobs, large city, no state income tax / far from family

Colleges in area? Tons, Rice, UT, Texas A&M, etc

Your favorite place to go to have fun? Tons of bike/walking trails, DT bars, sports games, boating, my garage, if there is something you like to do you can find someone else also doing it

Cost of living? a little bit more than buffalo in general, though the pay is higher and taxes are lower

Jobs? millions, if you’re not working here it is because you don’t want to or aren’t trying

Weather? AWESOME

How’s the music scene? Not really sure…depends what kind of music you like but I do know the rap scene and country scenes are huge. I think there is a group of bars DT that do local rock every weekend. There are always plenty of plays, operas, etc.

Sounds like you’d love living in Rice village and enjoy going to Rice. It is close to DT and always stuff going on. Very cool “arties” bars, clubs, coffee shops etc.

If you want to know more about Texas I’d be glad to answer and questions. Will I live in Texas forever? Probably not. Do I regret it? Not one bit.

This seems stupid

Decide what you want a degree in. Find schools which offer this. Then decide from this list. Not based on what cities have a cool music scene :ham:

buy a van and drive around the country having unprotected sex with dudes from craigslist. wherever you get pregnant is your new home.

Pittsburgh, Denver, San Antonio, and bout to move to Anchorage… Ill fill in the requirements later. At work.

I went to college in Fredonia, lived and worked in Buffalo for a year, and just recently moved back to my hometown of Albany. I’ve got a great job here but it’s the only thing keeping me. I’ve got my resume out at several places in Buffalo as wierd as that may sound to some of you. Buffalo is a great place, and a much better city than Albany… hands down.

Am I the only one that actually WANTS to move to Buffalo?

Its pretty tough for me to get a job out of state without living there first. I qualify for many jobs, but I feel that out of state address kills my chances.

I have resumes out in the Phoenix Area, Austin TX, San Diego, and Nevada.

you know, i’ve been getting great feedback from this on other forums. only nyspeed would give me bullshit fucking answers. again, thanks for contributing NOTHING.

i don’t know what degree i want. it doesn’t matter, since most areas that i’ve been looking at offer a very wide variety, and maybe then i can finally figure out what i want to do in my life. and i’m not basing my selection on whether or not it has a cool music scene, but it’s a big bonus.

I have family in Eugene, and friends in Nashville, and Morgantown. I just started compiling a list of places, so this is just a rough idea. Again, I don’t know where I want to go, that’s why I made this.

how about from now on, focus on telling me about cities, and why you like it. not tell me how to live my life. THANKS GUYS.

Dawn, I <3 you lol.

What kind of lifestyle do you wish to live? Active outdoors? Socially active? Both?

I have lived in Dallas, Waco, DC, Newport News VA

You can make just about any place enjoyable…for me it was based on what I want to do career wise that will dictate where I end up staying.

Why are you trying to move away?

I lived in Seattle for 3 years

It rules

However you would need to be working full time and making good money. My last apt which was meh and was 1800/month

Thats cause youre still pre op… Post is when you start banking

Where is/was it? Jacksonville/FL

Pros/Cons? North Florida gets great Florida weather without the unnecessarily hot temps like seen in central and south florida.Jax is the largest city land mass wise in the US.

Colleges in area? Jacksonville University, University of North Florida, Florida State College of Jacksonville

Your favorite place to go to have fun? Bars down by the beach, Hookah lounges, pool halls, plenty of great shows (bands) come to Jax

Cost of living? ~$1200/mth for a 2bd/2bath apartment so 600 between the two of us, including cable/net/water/electricity

Jobs? There are tons of different businesses in Jax

Weather? Explained above… this past winter has gotten down in the 20s but no snow, you’ll only get some frost on the car. Normally winters are in the mid 30s

How’s the music scene? FANTASTIC. SOOO many bands came out of Jax. There are live bands damn near every night if you look hard enough. Plenty of the bars down here host local bands and there is an event each year call Planetfest (likened to the K-rock-a-thon)

I’ve lived in Rochester, Chicago, West Palm Beach, and now Las Vegas. I wouldn’t move back to South Florida at all. I could be here all night telling you the pro’s and con’s of each. The West Coast is a ton of fun but the people are fake as all hell and you can’t trust anyone as far as you can throw them. No state income tax, low property taxes, expensive car insurance, lots of mexicans, no family run restaurants with “real” food, etc. Clearly in Vegas there is always some band or comedian or show to see. Chicago was awesome but expensive. The weather in Chicago was obviously still cold but didn’t seem to get nearly as much snow as WNY. Great food, good people, lots to do, decent job market. South Florida was expensive, a bitch to drive anywhere, white people are the minority, not a ton to do, but at least the job market was strong when I lived there.

I am moving to the Corvallis area of Oregon sometime this summer
(flying out in 2 weeks to find a house) , I havent lived there yet but what I know-

Where is/was it? Corvallis Oregon - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvallis,_Oregon

Pros/Cons? -weather weather weather, no sales tax, 40mins to the ocean, rated one of the safest cities in America by the national insurance institute in terms of crime, risk of natural disaster ect ect

Colleges in area? OSU

Your favorite place to go to have fun?- bars and beaches

Cost of living? housing more expensive until you hit the $200k range and it levels out, utilities about 20% cheaper, food basically the same, gas basically the same, no sales tax, much lower property tax, slightly higher income tax

Jobs? depends on what you plan on doing

Weather? -40s/50s in the winter with alot of rain, summer is 70s-90s with an occasional 100 degree day but with temps in the 50s at night, very little if any rain from May-Oct

How’s the music scene? - havent explored that far yet but Portland is about as far as Rochester and they get every major show , also Salem the state capital is 40 mins away

oh and I lived in North Carolina for awhile , south of the Asheville area, the south blows, nuff said

Nashville is nice. I’m not entirely sure how the job market is though. Shoot for Europe, as your family to stay with them for a little until you get on your feet.

Austin, San An, Dallas and Houston make up a KILLER area. If you are into Hot weather come on down!

There is nothing like driving around at night while it is 70 out with the windows down.

I’ve heard nashville is cool. Probably the only from dawn’s list I would even look into. For me, it’s too far inland. My brother-in-law lived there for a while and he really wants to go back at some point.

Subscribed to post everywhere I have lived later