AWD Dyno?

Hahaha not trying to be a badass just don’t be ignorant and act like you know something about me when you clearly don’t.

Ok special kid

When it comes to installing uprev (feel free to correct me if I am wrong) you download a program to your laptop & plug a cable in from the laptop to the OBDII port & click on an “upload” button in the program.

Actually Morgan tuned a 370z with a stillen supercharger kit, upgraded impeller, upgraded pulley & the usual bolt-ons using uprev. I am sure he could handle a M35 with an intake, plenum spacer & exhaust. He also has a real good understanding of what both N/A & F/I cars like when it comes to adjusting cam timing which is where you pick up alot of the power from tuning. I must disagree when you say bringing the car to Morgan to tune is “stupid”

In my opinion the oem suspension is of higher quality than that of BC… I do agree the car may not look as “cool” at stock ride height but…

You are 22 and have over 12000 posts on here… you are the :skid. Clearly someone doesnt get out much hahaha

Cool

That was my car actually so Morgan does indeed have experience with UpRev, just not a ton. As far as going to Synapse for uprev tuning, it will rnd up costing more than going to a tuner that has bought thr liscensing but either option is way better than doing the mail in tunes.

WTF just happened in here.

A couple of months ago when I broached the subject of BC coilovers, everyone was in favor. Specifically, if I recall, Nolan as he runs them (pretty sure it was Nolan). So, judging by the last 20 posts…BC has gone to crap and isn’t worth the $1k they cost? Maybe I’ll just get Espelir springs (made specifically for the AWD) and call it a day. But I HATE using spring compressors. F’in PITA.

F this. Everything you homo’s tell me contradicts EVERYTHING posted on one of the biggest forum communities on this planet (NICO). 8 out of 10 people on that forum in the M area run Megan. A vast majority of them have nothing bad to say about BC.

Spacer is on the way, ZTube is on the way, trying to find a deal on the plenum. I’ll do that for now and see how I feel about continuing.

What’s wrong with the mail-in tunes? The form they ask you to fill out on their site is pretty specific, etc. and afterall, they are the ones who created the software…so they have the most experience with it.

thanks for your input. good point about the licensing :tbu If there were more demand for tuning Nissan’s, I am sure Morgan would do it. But 2 maybe 3 cars doesn’t justify the expense.

In the big picture of tuning whats so different between flashpro, openecu/evoscan, uprev, hptuners. The look and layout of the program on the laptop. They all have fuel maps, ignition maps, variable cam timing, compensation tables, etc… When it comes to standalone ecu’s (AEM EMS, Haltech, Motec) some have better drivers than others but they all still control fuel, ignition timing, cam angles. compensation tables etc…

Coming from a fellow Nissan enthusiast. NICO blows dude :rofl

It’s not that I’m trying to say there is anything wrong with that option especially for hour minor bolt ons. But you’re never going to get a mail in tune that is as specifically tailored to your car as a dyno tune would. So if you’re going to spend the money why not go all the way and do it the best way possible? Of course that’s just my opinion on it, not trying to tell you how to spend your money.

It doesn’t change the fact that there is a large number of people, with a large number of parts, and a large number of real world reviews/data so to speak. The same parts are used often on InfinitiScene and iSceneM.com. Especially the BC coilovers.

Like I said, I have not heard ANYTHING bad about Megan exhausts OR BC Coilovers in all of my Infiniti related internet travels.

BUT…

Since all of you are Infiniti/Nissan experts…which exhausts ARE the best and which coilovers ARE the best? Keep in mind I want as OEM as possible on both accounts with exhaust opening the car up and suspension lowering the stance but still riding like OEM. And not stuff that costs $3k a piece. You’d be stupid to spend that much on exhaust (junction produce, for example, has mufflers for $1,100. Really? WTF? :rofl). This isn’t a show car. It’s not sponsored. It’s not raced. There is no money to be made on it. Just wanted it to look good and sound normal.

I guess I just don’t understand what the etunes really do. If I keep datalogging the car, can’t they fine tune it to my car? Isn’t that the same thing Morgan would do? Look at my values and adjust as needed? Being that UpRev knows Nissans and Infiniti’s, once they see my values, they’d be able to get pretty close to what I need…no?

I guess what I’m saying is…I don’t think UpRev would mail-tune for a generic VQ35DE.

Serious question. I appreciate your input on this.

Yea they all have the same basic layout but the difference is being platform specific. You go to a Nissan tuner because they know how to tune your motor, and have done it countless times. Bringing your car to someone who knows little about tuning infinitis is not a wise decision IMO. Yea they might do a good job but your taking a bigger risk than someone who tunes VQ motors for a living. And there is nothing wrong Ilya with doing UpRev through a “mail in”. If you want hundreds of testaments from people that have done it gone on G35 driver.

You can email tune for a/f easily when sending them datalogs. Tuning for power via email (ie cam angles & ignition) can be more difficult unless you are doing before & after dyno testing. I have seen some people try to use road HP/TQ calculators but they vary greatly from one pull to another (its a good idea to always use the same stretch of road but even then it will vary).

granted on your setup there could be a minimal increase in power from a dyno tune compared to uprev email tune. Brian had a good point - in the fact that the farther you deviate from stock, its probably better to get a custom tailored dyno tune

I agree with you 100%. But for his goals and minor mods email would be a better route I think

there is nothing that is significantly different about the VQ from many other modern motors, you adjust fuel, timing, cam timing. FYI Morgan has tuned ALOT of Nissans (granted mostly SR’s, KA’s & RB’s) mostly on AEM, Apexi PowerFC, or Haltech tho.

Yah… I spent everyday on shift for four years.

Ilya, purchase whatever suspension and exhaust parts you’d like…it’s your build, your car. I come from a different school of thought than most when it comes to “mods” or upgrades.

Yeah the only non-A/F tuning that would need to be done or that I would ask for is the 2* timing advance which almost everyone and their mother gets. I’m not exactly sure what it does, to be honest, but everyone gets it on these motors so…:lol

I guess you must have unlimited resources. I don’t :'(. Trust me, I can afford to do stuff to the car in general…but I’m trying to enjoy my car (do stuff to it) while being at least somewhat fiscally responsible while doing so. Spending $3k on a VIP bag system or coilover setup (I think the JIC VIP FLT’s, for example, are like $2900)…is just not in the cards. Or $5k on wheels alone. I spent $2200 on my wheels+tire+TPMS combo at tirerack and I’m super happy with the look, the ride, etc. I think I made a great decision on that combo and saved myself a boat load of money at the same time (as opposed to buying BBS, HRE, Vossen, etc.).

If I was making 6 figures, trust me, this car would see nothing but the best and/or custom. And yes, if I was making that much money…I do think I’d still buy this car. Or a Lexus LS460L (the best luxury car on the planet IMO).

That’s why I base my product choices on the reviews of tens, or hundreds, of user reviews. I have not heard anything bad about Megan or BC for this platform. I don’t just look at the price of a product and say, okay, well…that’s cheap so it must suck. I read what people say about it.

Kind of like Starbucks vs Dunkin Donuts (to go off on a tangent). Both good coffee (as far as I can tell), but one is like double the price (starbucks).

Hell, I ran an ebay priced full exhaust on my Maxima and other than noise level it lasted and I had no problems with it for years.

Coilovers on a daily driver in the the northeast isn’t the best idea.

Do you want the car to just look good, or do you want an increase in handling?

Look good. IMO, this car handles just fine. I live in Selkirk, and sometimes will take the backroads through Voorhesville/New Scotland (click here) and my car handles just fine.

But I do like the idea of being able to control the stiffness on coils instead of being stuck with one setting. The Espelir springs aren’t bad and are $500.