AWD Dyno?

Where is the nearest good AWD dyno?

I’m planning to get a plenum spacer (Motordyne 5/16" Copper Iso Thermal), as well as replace my exhaust (eventually). It’s a good thing we didn’t have a bad winter, otherwise the exhaust may have been this summer. I see it lasting another year or so before it starts to get noisy, etc. I’m not going to keep it OEM once it finally deteriorates. Probably going to go with a megan mid-pipe all the way back. Seems to have OEM sound/loudness but obviously flows better from what I’ve read. I don’t want anything loud, etc.

I want to get a baseline (the spacer is good for 12-14 as far as I know) dyno, install the spacer, dyno again and then get an UpRev tune to further maximize my cars potential and/or efficiency (they give you a couple tunes like eco, normal, sport, and security/valet).

Synapse has one , not sure if up and going though

I’ll have to email them and see when they will have it running or if it is running.

How much does a dyno run cost on average?

Yeah I just heard Synapse had one as well, I think it’s been up and running since the fall but I could be mistaken. I think between $400-$500 is the average for dyno tuning but I thought I saw $100/hr on his site.

I don’t think he needs tuning just a couple pulls for baseline and comparison once the parts are added.

I had the 5/16th spacer in my G35 and you don’t need a tune at all. If you want an UpRev then yea you need a tune unless you know what your doing and you can just do the tune yourself. UpRev uses a software that can be installed on any Microsoft computer. Plugs into your OBD 2 but it is tricky. And def not 12-14 maybe 5-10. Call RDZ motorsports in CT they are Nissan Infiniti gurus but no sure if they have an AWD dyno

Getting a plenum spacer though is def the best mod for the money on those cars.

Yeah I just need a baseline for S&G’s. I could just do it all and then get it dyno’ed, but I’m just curious.

I know I don’t ‘need’ a tune, but it’s recommended even for a stock car with these motors as it’s said that it helps them be more efficient. My friend (who has a 6spd, VQ35, turbo’ed + other stuff 96 Maxima) said that the plenum will help and that it will become more efficient:

It might actually change your mpg as well since nissans tend to run rich ( more fuel then air ) from the factory. And the ecu will compensate to a certain extent with more air flowing. However you are 100% on Uprev doing great things to the vq35. Just wish it was an option for the maximas. But you will not need a tune with just a plenum spacer.

Funny thing though after my tune on my 4th gen, my mpg went up if I drive the car normal.

I’m trying to squeeze every ounce of efficiency out of this motor that I can :lol.

Here is his car:

Synapse can’t do Automatic cars though.

I got a date for the 18th.

They said they can only do auto’s that have the sport mode shifter (manumatic - +/-)…which I have (and use almost exclusively).

:ahh

:lol why is that bad? I like to do my own shifting. The only difference of driving in this mode vs D is the shift points (you control them). Shifts aren’t harder, the car downshifts for you, etc. Half the time, I shift at the same points as the computer would…or just a little bit higher. I guess it’s me pretending to drive standard (some days I wish I had a 6MT, but as soon as I hit traffic, I’m happy I have an auto).

55kmi and zero issues.

alot of the newer automatic cars will stay in gear when faced with the initial load the dynapack places on the car, in the past the transmission would try to shift. There were some changes/improvements made to the dynapack software too.

I know Morgan has dyno’d a couple of automatics since the upgrade (450whp automatic camaro & a 350whp automatic stock G8). I am not saying every automatic or manumatic will work - be we’ve seen some that do.

I guess I don’t understand how dyno’s work. Doesn’t the car initiate the rolling of the dyno drums or whatever they are called? If that’s the case, my car should be fine.

I guess we’ll find out on the 18th. My car is rated at 275hp/268tq, I’m guessin I’m going to see like 230-240/225-230 actually going to the wheels?

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1571/monkeydg.jpg

:lol

Not spending all that much. Half the stuff I’m getting I need to do anyway eventually (mainly the exhaust - it’s only got a year or so left before it starts rusting through - thanks NY).

The wheels do initiate the spinning of the hubs/drums but the load doesn’t come on until a (user defined) rpm. don’t be surprised if its 200-210. awd cars average 20-25% drivetrain loss on the dyno. throw in an automatic transmission & it could be more.

:crackup^

btw Morgan has tuned with uprev before - its definitely decent software

Ilya does your car have traction control? if it does it may have to be disabled. On some cars you can pull the abs fuse, you might want to look into it for your model car

Damn. 200hp? :lol

Is Morgan good with the UpRev? I was told to go to a guy in PA who’s great with it (R/T Tuning - their site)…but if Morgan is good with it, I’d be dumb to drive 8hrs round trip.

My car does have VDC (vehicle dynamic control - their name for traction control). I have a button for it (on/off). Will that suffice? Or do I need to completely disable it?

I’m assuming you work for Synapse?

sometimes the on/off switch will work, many other times it won’t because the traction control isn’t really “off”

I don’t know if what I do constitutes work… I just empty the garbage cans & run errands to get lunch & shit