Awesome phone concept

This is an awesome concept for a cell phone. Modular to pick your features and what is important to you.

what a cool idea…prob wont ever happen but :tup: for the thought

It makes so much sense…coincidentally, probably will never happen.

I definitely would be in on purchasing this phone. This is a great idea!

To add all the modular connections and make them reliable for more than one or two connections by heavy handed users you would add a ton of bulk to the typical smartphone.

Ever take a smartphone apart and see how tightly they’re designed and how tiny the various connectors are?

very cool idea but it will never work
too much money in the game

Ya they said it on the site that they would need a large community for it to work. You wouldn’t see one company suddenly doing all this. Plus, companies who would be capable of this are making too much money selling new phones and replacements every year.

all i see is a logistics nightmare.

most people don’t even upgrade their computer’s ram and its super easy to do.

very cool… if only

Agreed. When you design something to be modular, you have to give up on a lot of other things that make today’s phones what they are. (i.e. small, reliable, smooth functionality) It can be done, but with a hand held device that gets as much use as a cell phone, this is pretty damn risky.

No shit. Can you imagine the carriers trying to get involved in this on top of everything else? Yikes…

People don’t really think from an engineering perspective though, they just cry “It’s a conspiracy!” and think it’s some big bad corporate profit thing.

You know who would love to bring this idea to market? Phone hardware people. Instead of releasing a new phone once a year they could sell you upgraded modules every month. The problem is every one of those connections is a spot where dirt, pocket lint and moisture will collect. And all those edges where the modular pieces fit together will funnel that dirt right down into those connections. You’d end up with a phone that was 4 times as bulky and 1/4th as reliable that no one would buy. That’s why it won’t come to market.

I think a possible solution to the exposed connections and crevices would be an outer shell that seals once you’ve configured what you want. But bulkiness still seems like a pretty hard thing to overcome. Taking something as complex as a cell phone and trying to convert it into a 2D puzzle? My brain is shitting itself just at the thought…

This is similar to cable companies offering channels a la carte. The just isn’t enough money to be made.

well looks like motorola is bring this concept to life

That is pretty awesome. All it took was for Google to buy them.

It’s a great idea in theory until you have to buy a new $200 block to fit your $400 frame…

At least hardware designers will be able to do their jobs at home, for free on something they enjoy vs getting beat down with
real world product devlopment requirements, deadlines and profitability.

if well done, this would make me switch away from Blackberry.

I like the idea of being able to max out the specs of a phone… if i could put the Q10 OS and camera into a 9900 bold that would be my perfect phone.

moreover, with the amount of time we spend on these things and how vital they are minute to minute i can’t believe nothing has stepped in somewhere between the latest Iphone and Vertu stuff.

It’s a great concept it would fail in the real world.

People would make substandard 3rd party widgets and trying to track down the root cause of issues would be impossible.

Would end up community supported I bet.