ball joint spins before nut is off...

Loosening an upper ball joint on that fucking sebring, i got the nut about 50% of the way off (there is some corrosion) and the ball joint came loose… so now you obviously cant back the nut off, because the shaft spins… there is no hex key on the end of the stud either… any tricks? or do i need to cut off the nut and buy a new one…

are you using air tools?.. if you can not use a pickle fork(sp) and some lube.

I TRIED CLAMPING IT BACK IN AS TIGHT AS I COULD AND HITTING IT WITH MY 1/2 IMPACT… NO GO.

srry for caps.

humm try a little heat if you can.

i put penetrating oil on it last night… i hope that helps… i only have a propane torch… no oxy accetaline… how much do those run?

you need to cock the nut to the side and hit it with a impact. That should slow down the spin enough to zip it off.

1. put gun on nut, and cock it sideways.

lol at one step.

aren’t you supposed to be at work?

meh, 5-9 is good enough for me.

not sure how much corrosion there actually is, but zip the nut back on, wire-wheel the end of the ball joint bolt and pb-blast the fcuk out of it. then back it off

AS OF LAST NIGHT I COULDN’T GET IT OFF OR ON… :\

^^^^^ well…shitty. cut it off.

YEAH, THAT’S WHAT I FORSEE HAPPENING…
FUCKING SUCKS… THIS IS A COURTESY JOB TOO, WTF.

^^^hey cockbreath, how about u hit your cap locks or stop yelling at me

you should be able to pound the joint in further and, meaning, if it’s the upper control arm, try to pound downward on the joint “wedging” it in there. That will usually work. If it doesn’t, then I’d suggest a dremel with a cut off wheel and go to town.

its gonna take more than a lil dremmel to cut off a ball joint, try and air-powered cut off wheel or a sawsall

Yeah, I guess it would take more than a little dremmel to cut off a ball joint…that’s precisely why I was referring to cutting the nut off the ball joint instead. :slight_smile: sorry I know i’m a smart ass, punch me in the tits next time you see me and all is good.

buy mapp gas propane is for cooking

This fucking sucks. I am doing this job for free and i am getting fucked. This car is a 98 and EVERYTHING is seized. The lower strut wishbone that ties into the lower control arm is seized as shit, both sides… it goes through a rubber bushing, so i cannot use heat to get it out unless i want to then pull off the lower control arm to replace the bushing. I really do not want to replace that upper ball joint, i just need to get it of so that i can swing the lower control arm down enough to get the strut out.

Is anyone interested in helping me get this done? I already loaded all the bols up with rust cutter and it isn’t doing shit.

this works for tie rod ends in similar situations if u take a pair of channel locks (slip joint pliers) and push the ball joint into the lower control arm, cuz its tapered it should hold it from spinning, try using a wrench rather than the impact, it’ll probly have too much power

tried that, i even clamped it with a set of welder’s vice grips… i think i am just going to cut it off…