lower ball joint

has anyone removed the factory front lower ball joints on the lower control arm? I took the bolt off, and tried to bang it out nicely with a rubber mallet, then harder with a peice of wood in betwen. didnt come??? Is the whole front bearing assembly attached to the lower ball joint somehow? help would be appreciated!

go buy or rent a pickle fork from Canadian tire or partsource. You need to pry the spindle from the ball joint.

You tried to hammer it out “nicely” with a rubber mallet? That wouldn’t come out if 50 years if you were still doing it like that. For 1, if your KEEPING the ball joint and boot DON’T use a pickle fork it will tear the boot and make a mess. With a big metal hammer, hit the part of the spindle where the ball joint stud slides into and give it good full swings. Trust me, I do it everyday. Try not to hit the backing plate for the brakes, or anything else. Good luck.

Hit it where my finger is and you will see it pop out. Then just get a pry bar and pry the control arm down while moving the spindle out of the way. Take the nut off the top obviously…

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4824/s20200016ep.jpg

perfect example^^^^

the pickel fork will fuck it up!

thanks, i tried a larger pickle fork but it looked like it was gonna tear the boot, but i’ll try with the pry bar. thanks guys

so i finally got it out with a little… alot of mechanical persuation. That thing was in there for good. I had to bang the shit outta it :lol: before it came out and i totally mushromed it :lol: Now the question it how to get the actual ball joint from the lower control arm. There was a snap ring clip that i took out, then its suppost to just come out, but once again its not budging!

go to canadian tire and get a ball joint press. they rent tem out!!! its pretty much a press that popes them out cus there a press fit kind of ball joint. Sometimes with diffrent cars they wont just sell the whole ball joint but the entire lower arm but ya get the press and it will slide right out. Its not too tough you just need the right tool! Good luck man!

thanks, and i work at canadian tire! but i’ve been off for a month since i’m real sick, i just never thought they were press fitted, cause i swore i heard about someone just poping it out. thanks

Nope, you have to press them out.