Bass Pro is a go

Ah… public housing on the waterfront… There’s the Buffalo I know and hate. I’d love to find the person who made that decision and drop him off the skyway.

I think it’s a tossup between that and the 190 for the worst Buffalo idea EVER.

EDIT:

BTW… Bass Pro isn’t dead yet.

Commission: Bass Pro Deal in 30 Days or We Are Moving On

The Erie Canal Harbor Development Corporation told reporters Monday that a comprehensive plan for development along Buffalo's inner and outer harbor is in place, and if Bass Pro wants to be a part of it, they have 30 days to agree to a deal.

The commission presented the plan, which includes thousands of square feet in retail, business, and residential availability near the current site of Memorial Auditorium. It includes a museum on the inner harbor, and a maketplace similar to the one in Seattle, Washington.

All told, Commission vice-president Larry Quinn says this development plan is twice the size of the one in Baltimore, Maryland.

“This is a ‘go’ project,” said Quinn.

The commission is going ahead with studies to figure out whether to gut the Aud or tear it down completely.

Meantime, Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown said his office will negotiate directly with Bass Pro to try to come to an agreement to put a store in the Aud, or on that site. If, after 30 days, there is no deal, the commission will begin to look for other suitors for the site.

“Erie County has no more money for this project. It’s time to fish or cut bait,” said Erie County Executive Joel Giambra.

All parties agree that waterfront development will move forward, with or without Bass Pro.

“I’d like to see them be a part of this deal. But if they’re not, we move forward,” said Chairman Anthony Gioia.