best engine to swap into a 3.8 stang?

buddy’s got a 97 3.8 stang that he might wanna new motor for. Is it really complicated to pull off a 5.0 swap for this car? that was the v8 option for that year right?

I’m just wondering about the drivetrain really, I doubt it could handle the extra power. Those v6s were only pushing what? 150hp

really I don’t know shit about mustangs though :smiley:

any advice from you guys?

i think it was a 4.6L that year. also im not positive but i think the the last year for the 5.0L was 95

x2

u can fit any ford motor in there practically… i known a few guys on some boards that had 5.0’s in there and 351’s and 460 big blocks… i’d look for a 4.6 DOHC cobra motor myself… but the 5.0 would be cheaper

well since you said the best engine, I would say a 430 inch dart block clevor, brodix-neal heads, billet internals. But seriously a 351w based stroker would be the best option but probably isn’t a legal swap since it doesn’t belong in that year of car.

You didn’t mention the small details like how much he wants to spend and how fast he wants to go. Either the 4.6 PI engine or DOHC cobra engine would be a huge performance upgrade from a v6 stang.

Also what rearend is in the v6 'stang, is it the 8.8 or the 7.5??

I’m surprised no one said LS-X

03/04 cobra s/c 4.6 or ls1

speaks the truth!

yeah you guys are right, it is the 4.6 for that year. I was thinking 5.0 for some reason. I know they’d be cheeper to get a hold of and the tranny/rearend would be able to take its power unless he beat it to death.

and really I have no idea what rearend it has, or how fast he wants to go. I didn’t even think about the DOHC cobra engine, that would be sick as hell. the S/C cobra would probably be way too much power for what he wants plus that’s gotta cost a ton. I’m pretty sure he wants something stock for a while, maybe exhaust, nothing built yet.

my mom is gonna be gettin rid of the 97 v-6 droptop stang here in a few months. its pretty beat. prob could get for less then 2 grand. she will more then likely take what ever dealer wants to give her.

vote for 5.0 its the easiest swap out there and cheapest. but go ls1 baby

My vote is for 5.4L with a Supercharger

wont fit under stock hood

so

The best value in modular motors is the 4 valve Navi motor…

NAVIGATOR 5.4L ENGINE
M-6007-NA54

Suggested Retail $4,395.00

M-6007-NA54
* Lincoln Navigator 5.4L DOHC 4V engine assembly
* Complete engine, from throttle body to oil pan
* Direct replacement for 2003 Navigator
* Engine Calibration code 3G-262-AB

There is a guy in Indiana with that motor… someone fudged up his cobra motor, so he bought a Navigator motor and put a centrifugal blower on it… seems to be holding up fine as far as i know

I vote for a different car. I have a 97 mustang 3.8 I hate it and the 4.6 of the same year sucks just as bad.

My opinion:

Unless you REALLY know your way around a Mustang and you also have a good connection for cheap parts (including the little stuff), it’s not worth swapping a V8 into that V6. At the absolute bare minimium, you will have to change/obtain all the wiring harnesses and the ECU, the headers and midpipe, all of the correct V8 sensors (MAF, 02s, IAT, ECT, ect), fuel injectors, and the entire rear axle (sixers came with a 7.5"/open diff combo). If you’re lucky you can get a complete motor pulled from something else with all the accessories and the fuel injectors/rails on it…if not, it’s even more work. I’m pretty sure you’d have to change the stock K-member to work with a mod-motor, but it might work with a 5.0.

If you feel that you guy are up to it, and can get the car inspected:

1. Go with a 5.0 if your on a budget. You can use the V6’s stock tranny with the 5.0 for awhile too.

2. Go with a DOHC 4.6 if you’ve got cash. You will need to change the tranny if you go this way as the 3.8 tranny won’t mate up to a mod motor.

Most people are better off just selling the six and buying a V8 model.

yeah, really it probably won’t happen, he’s not a car guy and I can just see me and some others doing all the work. I know a swap is no little mod and I can’t see it really being worth it either. oh well, just an idea. :slight_smile:

thanks guys

If he’s just looking to make his sixer not suck quite as bad as it sucks now…you guys could slap a Vortech on it pretty easily, or throw a 75 shot at it…granted, it’s not going to be any kind of street sweeper, but at least it’d somewhat get out of it’s own way. :smiley:

SR20DET.

sikk.