Best laptop under $600?

I have no experience with MSI laptops but their MBs were junk…failed on me after 2 months and took my GTX260 with it…called up customer service and couldn’t reach anyone that spoke fluent english

Kinda what I figured. Seemed to good for the price, and those specs. I probably will just get another Alienware. This one has been bullet proof.

I agree with you there, but there is a huuuuuugee class action settlement due to the issues wit those particular models. Also, I used to have good luck telling clients to call and give HP a hard time when the machine was out of warranty, 9/10 they got a free repair on the machine because they knew there was a problem.

Acer is a very well known brand, I even had one when I was 10yrs old. The only advantage with Dell/Alienware is part availability and ease of replacement. I would say that Dell/Alienware has a higher rate of failure than Acer from what I have witnessed first hand.

Dunno about you, but MSi did me good a few months ago.

I had a GeForce 8800Ultra that I got from them in Nov. 2008. Probably around Jan. 10 (maybe a little earlier) it died on me for one reason or another. I sent it to them and they sent it back after ‘fixing it’. It worked better, but still wasn’t fully functional. I sent it back and at that point they upgraded me to a BRAND NEW (with warranty) GTX260.

I like MSi.

High rate of failure because they are the most purchased brand along with HP. The more PC’s you have out there, the more of them (% wise) will break.

Dell FTW. I use nothing but Dell laptops and will never switch. I’ve worked on them for years and LOVE how they are designed.

Selling 100 computers and having 5 break is the same as selling 20 computers and having 1 break.

You would be correct to say that there are more broken Dells in the world than any other computer and THAT can be directly related to volume produced and sold combined with their failure rate (which I don’t think is excessive, it’s just not any less than the brands mentioned).

I actually use a Dell primarily.

That’s what I meant. You see more broken Dells for the simple fact that there are more of them out there.

I would rather not deal with any of that in the first place, for that much money, it should just work. I do see that youre saying the company is decent tho.

For the record, I have three broken Dell laptops sitting on my table lol Keyboard died on one, mouse on one, and the other needs the power connector on the board replaced.

Yeah, obviously support is hit and miss with a lot of places. Even Dell. Sometimes I’ll get a guy who doesn’t understand that I probably know the machine better than he does and he has me do the most basic tests which I’ve already done. Don’t know if they are filling something out or not but when I tell you I need a new motherboard due to so and so, I need a new motherboard. On the other hand, I get techs who ask me if I work in IT because I seem to know what I’m doing and when I reply yes, they completely change their method and just bypass all of the BS and ship me what I need.

Acer being around a long time and being a well known big brand are 2 differant things :tongue

But honestly dident know Acer has been in the laptop game that long.

but, Acer from my own experiance, having ripped apart nearly ~80 of them, they are built much cheaper than most other “big brands”…

Also as ILYA said… the reason you see dells with a higher rate of failure is because you come across them more… for every Acer I get in here… i probably have 20-30 more dells pass thru

I am an apple dude I have a macbook and an iMac. For the cheap money, last year I bought a Dell Mini 10 Netbook. It was like $325 after I got done with a couple of options. It’s not the best made piece of equipment, but for that money, it has preformed flawlessly.

Update

Dont ever buy anything Toshiba

Laptop is 2 months old, hardrive is already shot. Sent it in to be repaired and Toshiba tried telling me I dropped the computer and they wouldnt cover it. The laptop has spent 95% of its life sitting on a desk and has never been dropped. The Customer service girl was extremly rude and it took me over an hour of arguing to get them to cover the repairs. Also shipping to and from the Toshiba repair depot was on my dime, as soon as I get the computer back im selling it and buying something else. Some of the worst customer service I have ever had to deal with.

I have a toshiba Satelite A205 sitting next to me.

Personally I was happy with it until I spilled milk on it, which killed the monitor. After that I’ve used the computer as a desktop by plugging it to a monitor on a desk.

But I bought mine from CompUSA and they went under and I did have trouble dealing with the reps as well.

HP gear has yet to fail me.

Hard to beat this for less than $600

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157678

HP is fucking garbage and their customer service is FAR worse than Toshiba. Dell FTW. I have at least 3 dell laptops… one of them has been overclocked from 1.7ghz to 2.25ghz for 2 years now. It’s 6 years old. IMO you can’t go wrong however you should always buy the warranty. it’s inevitable that w/e you buy will need repair. Best bet is to stick with the company with the best customer service. Dell has come to my house and replaced stuff in my old laptop like 4 times, never at a cost to me. :thumbup

My last laptop was an HP, it needed to be serviced twice in 2 years but was covered under warranty both times and handled well by the company. So even though it needed more repairs than Id prefer the service was satisfactory. My next comp will be either another HP or a Dell. My girlfriend has a new HP that I like using a lot and my mom has a newer Dell that also seems to be higher quality than my current toshiba.

I deal with HP at work and straight up refuse to deal with them for anything on my own time. I owned a brand new top of the line HP laptop for about a week. Sent that POS back for a full refund (after a fight of course, its HP) and got my dell. HP FUCKING JUNK.

fuck you Wanye. Dell sucks ass

If you buy a warranty on ANY electronic item, you are a RETARD.

Oh shit you just called Wayne a 'tard!!!

Fuck HP, they suck so bad!!! Just as shitty as their fucking printers with super expensive ink.