best place for a student loan?

anyone know of a good website for student loans that they have experience with? I’m looking for a loan to purchase my toolbox and I’m looking for some suggestions.

ummmm

good luck… most places have tightened down on private student loans

doesnt snapon/matco etc have their own CC’s for tool purchases?

a loan from a credit union would have lower interest rates than a student loan.

and idk if you are actually in college but for a student loan you have to have proof that you are in college

i am in college, i just got accepted and my schedule made.

they do have their own CC’s you can get but right now I can’t really afford another bill or payment.

I’m not sure how things have been lately, but way back in ought-three or thereabouts, Citibank got my business when I needed a little extra student loan money. www.studentloan.com

You actually need this toolbox right? Like you’re in auto trade school or some such shit IIRC right?

Just to warn you, if not I am going to reach through the screen and choke you. For serious. I can do that. It’s a patch Howie added the other night.

hahaha…yes I actually need it. I’m taking the GM auto tech program and I need a nice box and set of tools.

I’ll look into it…thanks Fry :tup:

Look into the government. Stafford FTW

https://www.studentloan.com/

https://web.hesc.org/hescpub/main?target=renderer_loan_student_inq&select=1

hers is a link to citibank… there are fast and have good customer service… loans are getting hard to get so the customer service part helps out alot… my alternative loanis at 11.7% ( I know is sucks but the best i could do ) , my HESC loan is at 5.7 %…

you can just go into a bank you belong to and bring your letter of acceptance and your financial aid sheet that shows you will need to buy the tools, and they should be easy to get a loan from.

if it dont say that you actually need a job, i believe you can take extra money anyways to cover personal expenses such as books/computer or w/e goes along with college

Bad idea, Stafford’s are direct loans that go right to the school. As in you never see the money, they cut the school a check directly.

Sallie Mae has been good to friends of mine, but they’ve clamped down recently. I’d say a Credit Union would give the best rate nowadays.

Realize this is serious business, know your credit score and have several references available. Maybe even a cosigner with good credit.

And then the school cuts you a check for what’s left of the loan after their tuition is paid.

Staffords are the best idea, in that the interest is going to be the lowest you will find and it is usually deferred until you are out of school.

It just takes a little extra time since it has to go through the school first.

if it’s not a subsidized direct loan then it might as well not be a “student” loan so shop around as you would on anything else.

Yep if you can find an interest rate under 6.8%. Unsubsidized Stafford loans are just payment deferred (not intereste deferred) and fixed at 6.8%.

Subsidizes loans however, you will be able to consolidate at 3.4% in 2011.
I just closed the window but it was on the internet. Sallie Mae dot com or something.

Damn I got screwed then, UB just gave me credit on my next bills.

Probably some option I had that I never exercised I’m sure.

:tdown: to me

maybe I skimmed the page too fast but it look like staffords are subsidized according to your link.

There are subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans. Subsidized are interest and payment deferred while you’re in school. Unsubsidized are only payment deferred.

Also, Subsidized loans currently have declining interest rates. 6.0% right now, 3.4% in 4 years. So in 4 years you consolidate and fix them at 3.4%. Unsubsidized are fixed at 6.8% indefinitely.

Weird. I don’t remember doing anything special and even in grad school now, they just cut me a check for the leftovers. I must have told them not to. I’m sure they keep the money by default.