best rims/ rim size for drag slicks

as some of you know i’m shooting for high to mid 12’s this spring in the 2 ton sled. my big problem now is traction. I can build full boost off launch (finaly) so now i’m going to need some serous rubber. I think I can further modify a set of cobra calapers to work with modified rotors to fit rims as small as 14". I have a set of 17X8’s on the way for the upcomming SHO convention but they have roadcourse rubber on them.

anyway what lightweight rims are out there and what rims diameter do slicks perform best with? and what drag slicks seem to be doing the best this season?

basiscly I need a tire that will put down 350ftlbs+ of tq off a launch. i’m not oposed to running high boost for a couple of runs :eekdance:

Trak Lites - like im doing. prolly 15"

i just did a search for those and i don’t see small rim diameters with a good width to them. I also have a wierd bolt pattern. 5X 4.25 (108mm) so that doesn’t help

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/15-Sport-Edition-wheels-for-Volvo-Ford-Lincoln-Mercur_W0QQitemZ220076660483QQihZ012QQcategoryZ43955QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

light is key thow… those look heavy. for some reason.

those are not wide enough, i’m probably looking for something in the 8" range. 14X8 or 15X8. what is out there for tires? i’ve never had to look at slick before so competition tires are new to me.

smallest wheels and biggest tires

click wheels by weight.

Depends on the size and width slick you intend to run, and what class of drag racing you will compete in. You need to see what the tire rules for your class are.

Any dragslick on the market can handle that.

A lot of people tend to stick with Mickey Thompson, but Toyo, Hoosier, and a few others also make good drag slicks.

click wheels by weight.
sorry i don’t do PDF’s

your loss :shrug:

http://www.wheelspecs.com/specs/

15x8 inch wheel with the tallest tire you can fit.

maybe i’m acomplete noob but i’m having a had time finding anything that will fit my car in that link that isn’t a 17+

Sweet post. i knew competitions were the lightest 16X8. thanks a for this post.

[quote=“Rx3,post:8,topic:23723"”]

click wheels by weight.

Depends on the size and width slick you intend to run, and what class of drag racing you will compete in. You need to see what the tire rules for your class are.

Any dragslick on the market can handle that.

A lot of people tend to stick with Mickey Thompson, but Toyo, Hoosier, and a few others also make good drag slicks.

[/quote]

14" or 15" inch wheel would be best. With 350 torque I wouldn’t go with anything larger than a 24.5" tall slick. I tried a 26" slick when I was at 345 torque. It was great off the line, but slowed the car down once I shifted into the higher gears (3rd & 4th). Guys with similar setups with 24.5" tall slicks were cutting similar 60’ times (1.7’s), and had a higher trap (up to 4mph). Later I switched to a smaller diameter tire and my trap increased that same 4mph.
With the bigger tire I was barely getting into 4th gear. When I switched to the smaller tire, I spent more time in my car’s powerband, but was still not close to redline in 4th gear. (On the street 4th gear brings me to about 135mph) I was even thinking about dropping down to a 23 or 22" inch slick just to experiment, but never got around to it. I’m willing to bet that if I were still able to get good traction off the line, that the 23" would probably be the best size.
BTW I was using M/T slicks. I’ve only used M/T and M&H so I can’t give an opinion on any others.

I got these slicks cheap so i’m going to see if i can get them on the car for a reasonable amount of cash. i’m not too worried about my gearing at the moment I just need to be able to launch at more than 3psi withough burning my tires off the line.

[quote=“evilsrt,post:15,topic:23723"”]

14" or 15" inch wheel would be best. With 350 torque I wouldn’t go with anything larger than a 24.5" tall slick. I tried a 26" slick when I was at 345 torque. It was great off the line, but slowed the car down once I shifted into the higher gears (3rd & 4th). Guys with similar setups with 24.5" tall slicks were cutting similar 60’ times (1.7’s), and had a higher trap (up to 4mph). Later I switched to a smaller diameter tire and my trap increased that same 4mph.
With the bigger tire I was barely getting into 4th gear. When I switched to the smaller tire, I spent more time in my car’s powerband, but was still not close to redline in 4th gear. (On the street 4th gear brings me to about 135mph) I was even thinking about dropping down to a 23 or 22" inch slick just to experiment, but never got around to it. I’m willing to bet that if I were still able to get good traction off the line, that the 23" would probably be the best size.
BTW I was using M/T slicks. I’ve only used M/T and M&H so I can’t give an opinion on any others.

[/quote]

wow I missed this.lol

smallest rim, tallest tire. Like choda said.
26, or 28 if you can fit them. you can fit a 28 on a 97-03 gp with stock fenders. But you can’t turn much with the wheel liners. Good slicks, a MT ETdrags with a C compond fucking pwns for fwd. Its a light slick, with thin/soft sidewall, and a very soft rubber compond. MT says ther for FWD, and dragsters with non rear suspention. 2 good sizes to chouse form 3053c 26x10.5x15, and 3055c 28x10.5x15 your’ll need a 15x9 rim. No tube you save about 2 lbs per wheel. But if you go under around 16-15psi your spin the tire on the rim. You can screw the tire on the rim but going lower psi with no tube sucks. And its kinda dangers, with a tube the cars feels safer at hi speeds. And you can use the sidewall with a lower psi to absobe the hit, and pull the contact patch. This is more for the track, a ETdrag even at 30psi gets up to temp, and wears very quickly on streets
For a longer lasting slick,I ran 26x9.5x16 ETstreet on stock GP rims. The rubber compond is harder. And at 30psi on the 16, there drive alot better. But as a bias ply sidewall tire, they still follow grooves in the roads and shit. They have a thicked sidewall then ETdrags, and hoosier QTPs witch are a soft lightweight dot slick.
Theres also a 26x9.5x15 ETstreet, and a 26x9.5xQTP that I orderd a set for the cobalt. well see how that goes.

tracion it goes ETdrag©>ETdrag>QTP>ETstreet>MTdr>BFGdr>nittoDR

Also limit the transfer of weight to the back, with good tires, and the tracion you get form them. Not only dose that help keep weight on the front tires. It also helps with alot of CV boot, and joint problems. If your back end squats the front comes up, when you have good tracion. (preped pavement) And the power going thu your axles with the front end up. Will have more problems them keeping them on a stairt plane.