Best way to remove rust from wheels?

I have a bit of a problem, I let my rear pads get down to the metal, and they pretty much coated my wheels with a rust dust.
I let it sit for a while without washing it off, and now I cannot get that shit off. I tried this wheel cleaner shit and scrubbed them but no cigar.

Anyone have any suggestions?

clay bar may work, but it will be a lot of work.

get to it.

I never really found a good way to get it out besides refinishing the entire wheel unfortunatly. Wetsanding might get a bit, but most of the time it will just come back. Shit is a pain in the ass, even worse if it’s on the body.

get new wheels, that’s easy.

Wirebrush, some naval jelly, and a fuckload of time and effort.

What wheel cleaner did you use?

I used that wheel acid stuff that you get from the dealer ship and it worked ok on my wheels. give it a shot and see what happens.

eagle one wheel and tire cleaner, spray it on let iti sit for a while spray more on and scrub the shit our of it. worked great for my wheels, the best stuff is Wheel brite from delta sonic, but you cant get it anywhere =/

What type of wheels and finish?

Do you guys think oven cleaner would ruin the paint? I’d give it a shot before refinihsing…

Oven cleaner will eat the paint. At best discolor it badly.

What wheel cleaner did you originally use? It sounds like general discoloration of brake dust.

Are they factory clearcoated wheels? If so, the wheel acid should be ok but don’t let it sit for more than 20-30 seconds. What kind of acid is it? Hydrofluoric acid and ammonium bifluoride in typical wheel brighteners is something you need to be really careful with but they will tear through anything. Though HF is used on chrome wheels and is ok.

If its a nonclearcoated, something like anodized or polished aluminum, as soon as the acid hits it, it will flash oxidize and then you’re gonna have a grand old time trying to polish it with a metal polish.
Though I have read non car-applications where sulfuric acid in certain dilutions is used for dissolving rust. I know there are some wheel cleaners that combine a dilution of sulfuric acid with another acid, so that could be another option.

I wouldnt touch your wheels either with oven cleaner
Eagleone- is actually a decent cleaner for being an OTC product(i think its sodium metacillicate base). That may clear it up. I have a small amount left in a bottle(maybe only enough for 1 wheel) so if that’s the next route you try maybe I can give the remainder of what I have in that bottle

It really just sounds like the brake dust itself is just starting to discolor, not the wheel- it shouldn’t be too bad with an appropriate cleaner

they are factory alloy wheels but are spray painted black, i don’t really care if they get discolored as i can just paint them again

oh well in that case just use the easy off and a 3m scotchbrite pad, that worked for me-I had the same issue with rusted to shit pads before. just repaint em after.

Yea 2nded. Just go at it with some high grit sandpaper and spray it again.

well if your gonna paint them again, soft brass wirewheel on a power drill, want proof it works?

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj47/billkarter/100_1634.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj47/billkarter/100_1636.jpg

that was 2 minutes with a soft brass wire wheel

I need to figure out what Towne BMW uses. I let one of my pads wear down and it coated the wheel in dust rust. I took it in for service and when they washed my car the wheels looked brand new.

There has to be some kind of really good product out there for this…

Bump, odd thing I found out today by mistake. Soft cotton cloth, with a good deal of Spot Shot carpet cleaner (damp, not soaked) made short work after a bit of scrubbing of some rust dust I’ve had stuck to the passenger side of my car for a year.

Not sure if it will have any long term impacts on the clearcoat/paint given the harsh nature of it. But I’d highly recommend rinsing it off once you are done, and trying this in a hard to see spot first for verification first. A wee bit better than having to refinish part of my door, and fender. I’d imagine there is a much better method.

Disclaimer: I’m not responsible if this somehow eats a hole in your car, or something like that. All I know is it worked for me.

what I would do on a normal painted+clearcoat wheel

1. spray eagle one or other rim cleaner on all of them.
  2. wait about 4 mins.
  3. take old rag and agitate to loosen up the dirt.
  4. spray off and dry
  5. use paint cleaner to clean the wheels of any dirt on them (so that I don’t ruin a good clay bar)
  6. clay bar them
  7. if still not good enough compound them
  8. wax them

using this process I’ve fixed some pretty bad wheels up to almost new… as long as the damage is in the paint or on the paint you can fix it… it’s when it’s through the paint that you have to refinish them.