removing brake dust from wheel...

I was forced to drive my mustang into work a while back (it had bad brakes on it) and one of my calipers locked up a little bit and now I have brake dust all over my one wheel. I’m sure theres probably not much I can do about it, as it looks likes it’s etched into the rim. Thanks god the paints ok (same thing ruind a wheel and the paint on my old tbird supercoupe)

you have any ideas on how to remove it? I tried scrubbing it with a sponge with soap/water and it removed a little of it… but not all.

or you think I’m gonna have to just buy a new wheel?

thanks
-steve

Try one of those wheel cleaners from an autoparts store. I bought some Eagle 1 stuff a while back that cuts brake dust pretty easily. There are harsher chemicals out there for cleaning aluminum but they may affect the wheel coating. Assuming it has one.

Michelin makes a 3 part system that works pretty good but if its caked on elbow grease is the only thing you can use

yeah it does paint/clearcoat

I’ll try some of that wheel cleaner stuff with a brillo pad or something. :tup:

It doesn’t take much to scratch up the clear coat. My fiance’s car has polished alloy wheels with a layer of clear and when scrubbing the wheel in a spot it scractched the clear.

If these are stock Mustang wheels, the paint on them is pretty tough. I don’t know if its powder coated or not but I’ve never had any problems scratching them.

goto a u wash it and dont be afraid to get the nozzle almost on top of the rim. itll come off

yea usually wheel cleaners will get it off

claybar

and if you use a brillo pad, you deserve the results you get, use it to get that bird shit off the hood too

yeah… it might actually be powdercoat with a clear top coat (for the polished lip on them). I usually use a plastic bistle brush and a green brillo/scrubby pad when I clean them (followed by a layer of wax) and never had a problem with scratching them either(which somewhat worries me about my chances of getting this crap off)

edit: or maybe I’ll just say fuck it and buy some new wheels lol
http://store1.yimg.com/I/mustangtuning_1879_2086111
I liked the dished look better than stock

This seems like a redgoober4life question. He always seems to know his cleaning/cosmetic car care really well. PM him?

good idea :tup:

as funny as this sounds, MR Clean Magic Eraser

We used to use them on wheels sometimes. If you dont want the cheap route, use a pice of claybar. DO NOT USE AN ACID BASED WHEEL CLEANER FROM A PARTS STORE or you will in fact need a new wheel

Not funny. Those things work great!

:word: Claybar is the way to go…