Bike inspection info

:facepalm

Actually, the engine brake is the most important, followed by the fixed metal object ‘brake’.

I know many riders that rarely if ever use the rear brake :facepalm

this.

maybe the OP prefers to do this…

http://perso.orange.fr/mike.werner/BlogPics/Walking-bike.gif

Hey, never hurts to ask right? :tbu

Rear brakes ARE necessary.

/thread

Following comment applies to bikes without a linked braking system.

Never touched the rear brake on the track, as do most racers/trackday riders. In top tier racing, the rear brake is used to help rotate the bike at turn in, essentially in the way what the sumo racers use the rear brake for.

At least at the track, it is never used to help slow the bike down, as under threshold braking there will be almost no weight on the rear to a point where the rear tire will be skipping with the engine brake effect alone.

MSF teaches using both brakes, it is the most effective way to stop to a point, and when you are not threshold braking. In the case of a SS bike, the thing is I’ve read more about people crashing because they use the rear brake than not.

The only reason I use the rear brake riding around town at normal speed in normal traffic condition is so I can put as little wear to the front brake pad as possible.

Having said that, I do not imply the rear brake is “useless” for street riding nor do I imply a bike without a functioning rear brake should pass inspection.

i actually put the bike down once because even a feather touch on the rear brake was causing my worn OEM tires to lock.

i use it but don’t go crazy with it. Only apply heavy pressure when i’m virtually stopped and want to come to a complete stop.

threshold braking?

Threshold braking means that you’re on the brakes as hard as possible without lock.

I lowsided a bike once because of the rear brake and some dirt on the road. A deer came out and scared me, I got on the rear brake way harder than I realized. I had only been riding a few months at that point.

Should the rear brake be used for launching, or just the front? I passed inspection today, no bribes.

Why would you use a brake for launching? Is you bike automatic? :dunno

Who doesn’t use the rear break?

Come on man, my Gixxer comment was a joke…:rofl

yap

back brake for wheelie control :tbu

This thread kills me hahahahah