Failed inspection question

Took my truck for an inspection the other day, it passed emissions but failed safety due to a hairline crack in my rear pad. After declining the $400 job they said I would have to REPAY for safety inspection if I had the work done somewhere else.

My friend who was a mechanic for a few years says that is BS, that I have 30 days to fix and return and not be recharged for the safety inspection .

Anybody know on this?

I thought it was 10 days to fix it and return? I don’t know for sure what it is but they are supposed to grant you some grace period to fix it and come back.

30 fix and return IF they try to pull that bs by charging you twice CALL DMV

motherfucker musta been HUNGRY to pull a rear.

May have just been the one wheel he decided to pull.

Pretty sure they can charge 10 for reinspect also

10000000% more likely to get a hit on pulling a front wheel unless its a 03+ honda accord. then it’s 50/50.

^that’s an exaggeration.

rear wheels dont count when pulling one wheel for NYSI, has to be at least ONE front wheel

jiffy lube on central failed my car once, got it fixed came back paid nothing. inspection is $21 if you pay any more then that then u got fucked

where did you take the truck?

Im guessing you took it to a chain place.

Ive learned to never do that. Theyll always ‘find’ something wrong to make money off of while an independent shop is usually more honest and doesnt try to fuck you as hard.

I wish my car would pass emissions.

A quick, simple DMV search netted these results:

An inspection sticker is not issued until both inspections are passed.

If you return the vehicle to the same inspection station within 30 days, it requires a reinspection of the failed inspection only. You are required to pay the reinspection fee only.

If you take the vehicle to another inspection station or wait 30 days after the failed inspection, the vehicle must get both inspections again. You must pay for both inspections again.

(http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/vehsafe.htm)

Reinspection fee is $10 I think.

Depends on what it fails for…
Safety is $10
Emissions is $11

You can pull any wheel. You only need to pull one, but you can pull more if you want/feel is necessary.

Some places there is a grace period where they will re-inspect for free, but they are not required to by NYS.

It has to be a front wheel

Brakes

At least one front wheel must be removed to inspect the brakes.

* Brake pedal reserve - brake pedal must have 1/3 reserve
* Brake pedal fade - brake must hold for one minute without fading
* Power brake unit - check for proper operation
* Brake master cylinder - check for leakage and proper fluid level
* Disc brake pads - check condition
* Drum brake linings - thickness of linings must be at least 1/16 inch on bonded linings or at least 1/32 inch over rivet head on riveted linings, with no loose or missing rivets or lining
* Brake drums and/or rotors - check condition
* Wheel cylinders and/or calipers - check for leakage
* All brake lines and hoses - check for leaks, cracks, chafing, restrictions, and improper support
* Parking brake - check for components and function
* Brake equalization - test vehicle for a straight stop without significant wheel pull

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-50.htm

as a inspector , a front wheel needs to be pulled reguardless . there is technically no reason to pull a rear wheel unless ya see that its grinding or a squeeler is hitting . the only other reason is if the e-brake dont hold . if ya fail a safety inspec its a 11 dollar charge idf its a emmision its 10 dollar .

Ok so sounds about fair. I brought it to midas or monroe or some shit, my own cheap ass fault i had a 50% off coupon for nys inspection and the garage was empty at the time. So then they try harder than fuck to find something wrong. He pulled all the wheels, and the rear calipers, where the pads where getting along in their life.

If they have a coupon for less than the $21 NYS inspection fee you can almost guarantee youre gonna get fucked.

my suggestion… go to someone you know, midas fucked me two weeks ago

I will have to reread the inspection rules, but I was told by DMV officials that I’m not allowed to remove calipers and pads on inspections. Pulling all 4 wheels is legit, but unless the pads were metal to metal or hitting the wear indicators they really shouldn’t have failed it. The way the law reads if I remember correctly the friction material is suppose to be separating from the backing or the friction surface would have to be severly damaged. If there was only a very small crack they shouldn’t have failed your truck. Post a picture of the pad so John, myself and the other inspectors can take a look.