Having trouble with inspections

My gf’s 94 Altima keeps failing the stupid inspection with the littlest freakin things. First off, they failed me for rear brakes for seizing. That’s acceptable so I installed new rotors, calipers, and pads for her. Now, I went there and they failed it for a small crack in the signal lense cover which is NOT part of the headlights, CV boot rubber is cracked, air filter is dirty, and need new tires soon. There’s waaaay more than enuf treads. I am like…WTF??? I went to the same place I had inspected b4. Last time they said the CV boot will pass inspection and there’s no need to replace the WHOLE rack and pinion. This time they want me to for out $1300 to replace the whole rack and pinion. This is absolutely crazy! Is it because they wanna make more money so u keep going and going and going like the Energizerfuckenbunny???

fuckenshit!! They cant fail me for the CV boot! LOOK AT THIS!! http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/repairshop.htm#Insp

go somewhere else and get an inspection…where have u been going

Absolutely take the car somewhere else.
When you said the air filter is dirty is that something they are telling you? I would hope that isn’t part of the reason they aren’t passing it. More likely they are just wanting you to change it but with their parts and their labor.
Not to go on and on about it, but I just thought it was odd that they would even look at that during an inspection.

anyone have a good place to go for an inspection? my guy died last year… so i dont think he will be doing it.

but i dont want to make a similar post. granted i dont think there is anything on my car that wont pass, but who knows.

they said the CV boot is causing the power steering to fail. I am pretty pissed off. Went to Firestone to get it done. I thought it would’ve been quick.

if u live in cheektowaga…goto Midas on Walden and Union…ask for ROB…tell them Chris Kilger sent u …i used to work there

wow, now thats funny. I would have laughed in the guys face and asked to see paper work on inspections that tell them what will fail and what passes.

I had a guy tell me once that my cat. was bad. He brought me out to the shop to show me it was bad. He tapped the cat with his hand and said see you can hear the material inside ratteling. I then held the heat sheld over the cat and had him hit it again and guess what, no noise. What a bunch of tools these people are.

Sometimes it seems that knowing a good mechanic is more important than knowing a good doctor.

I have been using the same guys for 18 years.

why dont people ever say shit like this to me… I would love to respond to that comment…

My inspection guy actually inspected my old car with a crack through the whole windsheild… I was amazed. lol.

Valvoline.

I passed inspection two years in a row at Valvolines (2 years ago in Hamburg and last year on the BLVD near maple. The guy in Hamburg was cool as hell, sayin half the time he doesn’t even put the cars on the lift cuz he’s in a hurry.) I had a crack in my turn signal housing but no missing material. A lot of places said it would fail and one dude gave me a lecture about how he’s been doing it for 20 years and a cracked turn signal housing doesn’t pass. I’m pretty sure the law says there just can’t be any light passing through. In my experience Valvoline has been pretty lenient. I had to get new tires before Valvoline would pass my car last year, but I needed them. One was just about bald.

most fixit chains like firestone, monro, goodyear are trained to rake people over the coals during NYS inspections ALL inspection places lose money during inspections, 22 bucks this year hardly covers the cost to jack up a car and pull off a wheel. Time is money. Just to slap the icing on the cake NYS Inspection requirements with the new “code” check have doubled the size of the rulebook of the road. this reminds me my inspection is a month overdue.

what you need to do is go over there, WHILE there are several customers in the place, and SERIOUSLY tell these assholes of with emphasis on what a bunch of thieves and scammers they are… PM’d place to go

thanks

Ya valvoline guys are pretty cool. i went to the one on sherdian near millersport, talked a little about cars and out i was. They didnt give me any shit. I have a cv boot torn at the rubber and there are some ther things I can’t remember. Just depends on the place.

any crack in any lense will fail NYSI

and a crack in the winshield more then i think 2 inches or soemthing will fail as well.

im pretty sure a cracked cv boot will fail.

air filter will not fail nysi

and tires have to have less then 2/32 of tread of two rows next to eachother in order to fail. so just one row (like just the edge) less then 2/32 will pass.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER GO TO FIREBONE… They tried to make me pay for a steering rack in my old Saturn. (Sound familiar?) I said fuck that and took it to the dealer. (Who confirmed it did not need a steering rack.)

I only go to United Imports on Main St. for my inspections these days, or the dealer for the Nissan.

Sounds like you’ll be in ZeroDaze’s boat soon

J/K :lol:

OMGWTFBBQ, LOL…Firestone?? u gotta be kidding me! hahahahah

they failed my old chrysler as well…hate em so much.

anywho, bring them to Monroe BJ between transit and maple rd…they passed my friend’s car too…which has alot of “bugs” on it…

hahaha…got inspected from Valu Muffler on the Blvd. Nice guys there. Inspection lasted only like 30 minutes. I told them I failed the inspection from freakin firestone and they were like, why the fuck did u go there??? Firestone failed me for leaking power steering fluid and needed a new rack and pinion. I went home and washed the engine bay and shit and found that the oil was only engine oil. Well, I heard that Firestone and Monroe is INFAMOUS for pouring down oil into ur engine bay and saying u r leaking oil and need some kind of replacement.