NYS Inspection Question

I just got a phone call from my neice. She was just at Delta Sonic to get an oil change, and was going to make an appt to get her overdue inspection done. The guy there told her it would immediately fail because the rust on her rotors. I have never heard of a car failing inspection due to rusted rotors. Does anyone have any idea if this is legit? I know the first thing people are going to say is don’t go to Delta Sonic for anything car related which is what I told her, but I still need to know if that is a legit reason to fail an inspection.
Thanks

If they are excessivlly rusted. ie: uneven braking surface. or if there is chunks falling off the rotors(as i have seen many times in the past in buffalo) then yes I have seen people fail for that. Delta sonic has nothing to gain by failing you for rotors as I beleive they dont do that kind of repair. It all really depends how bad the rotors are.

i would need to see it gor my self

if it is like totaly coroded away yes it would fail but…

if it like a little rust line from the brakes then no i dont think it would fail

Bring it to me…I’ll check it/ inspect it :slight_smile:
PM’d

it is actually the discretion of the inspector. i have failed for this before because on a 2.2 inch rotor surface only .3 inches was contacting the rotor.

There is a sticky on this at the top of the General Automotive forum that contains links to the NYSI guidelines.

While it is at the inspectors discretion it must also impede safe breaking during a test drive.

don’t sass me whore! god ilu

that was directed at the OP. slut.

It has to be bad enough to impair the braking. as in it shakes the steering wheel out of your hands(as in dangerous). not a little pulsation. I have argued the pulsation bit in front of judges and the shop failing it for a pulsation has always lost.

discouraging isn’t it? you’re “the man” and they still say you’re wrong. if you read between the lines a ball joint can separate, shove the tire back into the fender, jack it up, shove it back in and technically you can’t fail it b/c you can’t feel play with the weight of the vehicle on it. if they’re going to be so lax why even bother? with enough hack shacks giving out bogus stickers and half ripping people off it’s hard to tell who’s right and wrong.

if the brakes pulsates more than a little bit then it fails. also up to inspector

I dont take offense. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I’m just giving you the states opinion/law. and btw mechanical damage means the rotor has separated from the hub (ie: tauras, K1500, etc,).

who around here gives a fair inspection and will give me fair prices if something needs fixed?

The inspection on my car may be up.

Go to valvoline on NFB. They barley look at your car and its pretty simple. They dont really do repairs there too so they wont BS you.

:banghead:

You know.

i wasn’t questioning you, just the black and white in a book you didn’t write. i get frustrated when you call to ask about something that’s judgment call via the standards but really isn’t safe and they insult you and question you saying you’re a thief and can’t fail it, that upsets me.

This is the reason why, after we got all set up to do inspections, that I wrote a post on Dubs in the Buff basically saying: “don’t ask me to bend or break rules, losing my certificate or facility license isn’t worth the 6-pack or whatever you throw my way”

Let me give you the safe answer- If it specifically doesnt say in the book reject if- then it passes. If you were ever to end up in a hearing in front of a DMV Judge the excuse that it doesnt say that in the book goes far.
If you have specific questions you can call 2 different numbers
1 is my office 826-3187 ask for Paul (if i’m there) (tell them
the non-body guy Paul).
2 tech services in albany these are the guys that interpret/make the laws
public phone # (518)474-5282

When you do call for a question get the person’s name you talked to and time etc… and write it down

:tup: Paul.