Bings.ca FMIC?

Anyone have any exeperince with the intercooler? I dont want to loose boost (@ 15 psi) and just want something that will keep me happy untill 320-350 bhp. Does it include everything I will need to go from one rubber tube to the other? Good desicion?

Any feedback is welcomed.

Thanks,

the intercooler will work…all intercoolers are based around the same design if you dont want any drop in boost then you will spend the big bucks but if .5-1 psi drop is ok then giver and at 15 psi you should not lose much boost…the intercooler is deffinetly not as efficent as say an APEX-I one or a Blitz but it will do what you need it to do for 350HP

You dont need no 3.5x35x15 intercooler for 350 hp a nice little 2.5x22x12 will work awsome and flow great :slight_smile:

Were you looking at the 20" x 9" x 4" or the 24" x 12" x 3" with 3"?

I bought a small Bings, and for the price its looks like an awesome buy. I have the piece and I cant see any reason to be disappointed but I havent actually hooked it up yet due to my original turbo motor plans falling through. The only thing I was how heavy it was… but on the counterside I cant really remember holding any other FMIC’s for weight comparison. Nonetheless, I say go for it.

allright then, thanks guys. I’ll try it out.

Speaking of Bings, has anyone ever tried their SR downpipe? I’m interested in one, but I’ve heard that some slightly ‘cheaper’ downpipes are poorly made and go down far enough so theyre the lowest point on the car, and make for lots of bottoming out? Not sure how much truth there is behind it, or maybe I just misunderstood the story, but anyone?

I love you Bing!

Now that that’s out of the way, my Megan DP has welds that are a million times better than the Bings DP. I don’t know how you get 1/8" deep undercut on the flange when TIG welding. If you’re on a budget, it would be fine. It’s an easy peice to fix if it cracks on you, but for only a little more you can get a Megan with a flex pipe.

Pheewww… what a relief…lol

re: intercoolers

i’ve just reduced the price a little bit on the intercoolers i have. as far as performance is concerned, there are many people running more than 15psi through them however i dont do pressure testing or anything of that sort so its tough to say definatively how they stack up against the big name brand cores.

that said though, GReddy has come out with a lower end line of intercooler kits and you can be sure that they are using the same grade of cores as these or worse… i would be hesitant to suggest that any brand name is better than any unbrand name based on reputation alone. I have seen some Apexi intercoolers that were fantastic looking though.

as for the weight of the smaller core, it’s 4" thick so it will not be super light.

re: downpipes

i’d be skeptical of anyone who said the megan’s were significantly better. i know several Megan dealers and in the past i have ordered megan parts instead of the stuff i usually do. As far as i am concerned Megan is simply rebadging unbranded parts and i would put money on it. I have owned megan downpipes with flex pipe and had them on my car and got rid of them to to fitment issues. i have had megan turbo elbows that cracked on me on my SR in my own car.

i have handled tons of megan products and they are no different than any other unbranded stuff.

what advantage Megan does have is that they offer a genuine warranty on their products when you buy from reputable suppliers. that is a key feature of thier products and for most people it is worth the few extra bucks that megan costs over the stuff i sell.

i dont sell things for so little because they are inferior, i sell them for so little because i have developed awesome contacts and i simply pay less for my stuff than anyone else does.

i have open accounts with various suppliers and i can tell you that the prices some people are paying for their products vary significantly depending on where you get it even though it is all 100% the same. I have at least 4 suppliers for things like downpipes and some places literally charge me double what others do. Megan is near the top of that scale.

So are you saying your DP is better than a Megan?

no i am not.

as far as fitment, it may not be the downpipe.

if you have an aftermarket manifold, turbo extension and downpipe then this whole combination of parts will be slightly different than factory.

if your manifold or turbo extension flange is clocked just slightly then your downpipe will run into the frame… that is not the fault of the downpipe.

if the flanges on the manifold, turbo elbow and downpipe are thicker than stock then your downpipe will be lower by a few mm.

plus the downpipe is thicker than the factory one anwyays so it will be exposed more anyways.

all of these things contribute to the downpipe being prone to getting hit. i havent had that problem but i do know people who have hit curbs at weird angles, hit their downpipes and it cracked their manifolds to shit as a result.

as far as the megan parts… when they didnt include the flex-pipe they were 100% identical in every way aside from the little label attached to them that says megan. i have some other stuff from another supplier who puts their logo on it… its the same shit… then you have T-pros which for a time i was being told was the European Megan, i dont know whether that is true or not but people who were selling Megan were getting T-pros when Megan was out of something.

now… i have seen a greddy turbo elbow and that was for sure superior to the cheaper stuff… it was much heavier, different flanges etc. etc. and it costs over $200 if i am not mistaken.

for the most part megan is basically badging the chinese parts and offering a decent warranty. nothing wrong with that, i use the stuff and its not garbage, but people should be careful not to miscontrue it for anything more than a better managed OBX. By that i mean the people that are runnning Megan are quite obviously sharper than the people running companies like OBX and all the other companies importing and rebadging chinese made parts.

I’m not trying to start anything here, but as a ticketed pressure welder I feel I am qualified to say what is and isn’t a good weld.

Maybe Kris’ Bings DP was an anomaly but from what I saw the welds were inferior to my Megan. That’s not to say that the Megan is perfect as I had the same fitment issues as everyone else (which was easily solved) but I must say I was impressed with the quality of the welds of the Megan. The Bings, not so much. I still fail to see how someone could get 1/8" deep undercut on the flange when welding with TIG.

But don’t think for 1 second that I am a Megan whore. For a non critical part like a DP I am fine with Megan, but for a high thermal stress part like the elbow, I coughed up the dough for a Greddy elbow.

you may have been right to do so on the greddy.

for the record, i am not a ticketed welder, i am simply going on side-by-side comparisons of megan (T-pros) downpipes versus various others i have had. if that particular downpipe was unacceptable you shoulda told me, i would have replaced it for you. As far as i have seen they may all have come off of the exact same machine tig. but that isnt to say that every one of them is flawless.

btw, i wasnt really speaking specifically about the welds anyways, i guess i was talking more in a general sense of the over all parts and how there is not, visually anyways, any discernable difference between all the cheaper, asian made stuff.

speaking on an individal basis between specific parts i am sure there will be some differences as you have experienced.