??? about FMIC

Ok well I’m just looking at things for my next year set up. And that brought me to fmic, mine is only rated to 475hp I’m going to be looking at around 550hp. And with trying to keep some kind of budget got me to the old ebay. Now will these $200-300 big intercoolers really be that much worst then a big name one that costs $700-800 or no. I don’t know much about intercoolers but to me they look the same and flow and cool air lol. So someone school me or something.

AHEM…

there are certain ebay intercoolers that WORK WELL.

my last two setups had ebay FMIC’s, a 3" and 4" respectively, both with exceptional cooling results. last year while tuning on an 85*+ day, while beating on it, my IATs never peaked above 100*. that is cooler than a fellow boosted LS1 drivers twin 4.5" big $$$ griffen IC’s.

their flaw is in the endtank design, at least with the one’s i use. the inlets are at the bottom. they don’t optimize flow throughout the whole core, rather they favor the bottom. that is a lot of negative space. however, at the end of the day, i know i didn’t have much if any psi drop, and my IATs were great. i would def recommend a similar cooler.

i forgot to mention that i already have my new FMIC, which is the same 4" IC i used in my last setup, in a build where i’d like to think im not skimping. if i had any doubt of its performance, i wouldn’t use it

What brands where you running if they even had a brand on them lol

well…lol. all three have been different brands, but have the EXACT, down to the welds, design. ill get a link to the one i have…

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/31x12x4-Mustang-Camaro-Diesel-FRONT-MOUNT-INTERCOOLER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ009QQitemZ190177487161

Those ebay cores are shit… they will flow the volume of air needed for x hp but will not cool it as well as a similiar garrett.

PTE intercoolers are cheap and with cast end tanks and garrett cores, you want both things. The core kevin used was good for 750whp and are decently priced at about $450.00

Since hybrid is not taking orders at the moment here is a link to mikes store… http://www.innovativetuning.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=486&products_id=2778

You could run a smaller sized garrett core with the same results. If not better, my iat would drop while cruising or doing pulls…

there are a ton of big $$$ biggg power builds in the ls1 world using these. a lot of big shops sell them as part of their “custom FMIC kit” for various setups. there are a lot of skeptics and critics. 99% of them are humpers who have no idea what they are talking about who are just relaying hearsay

edit: GARY this was NOT directed towards you, i was typing this before your post showed up. just saying, obviously most internet car forums are filled with engine builders (sarcasm)

Haha thats the one i was actually looking at

And thanks Devioustsi ill look at those like i said i know nothing about intercooler so all the input is great

my IATs are on par with every big name big money A-A FMIC out there. Im talking about $1000 cores. the numbers don’t lie :smiley: and ya, i may be able to get away with a smaller FMIC with same results, but at a much larger cost, and this particular FMIC is the perfect dimensions for my apps

What boost were you running? Over 25psi intercooler quality really shows.:smiley:

well i’ll agree with you on that. psi and burst rates going through this IC could be interesting, and it really could start to choke. fortunately i will never have to find out, because i can obviously make the power with much less.

On the flip side, my turbo flows over TWICE as many lb/min as 99% of the local import crowd, (not intended to mock, my larger engine just obviously requires more; it is what it is). so while the boost may be HALF as much, i have TWICE the amount of air flowing through there at max efficiency

at the end of the day, people can do the math of the subject until they are blue in the face. what it comes down to, (at least in the LS1 world, i cant and wont speak for the smaller engine crowd), the results speak for themselves. if these FMIC produce the same power numbers with the respective IATs and MAP as high dollar Air to Air’s, i would think, but can’t be certain that it would work well on a 6-700hp civic.

but again, i have no experience with civic’s, so, thats all i have to say

comon gary, im waiting for your rebuttal, we are having another thread thing here

id like to see big daddy burch tell our old friend mr john donovan that ebay fmics are crap.

face to face.

:stuck_out_tongue:

lol

story?

lol not much of a story, more of an inside joke. turbociv is running an ebay fmic on his bimmer.

That’s just it you are in complete efficiency of both the motor and turbo. The small engine crowd it producing 200hp per liter with a 2l and 400 hp, your car is a little over 100hp per liter. That with a turbo being pushed to its limits at 25-35psi equals you need every peace of effecient proven part on the car.

oh, i forgot his name.

good or bad results?

I have he looked at me and I felt like Melissa when she doesn’t have meat on the menu for dinner.

lol^^^

and… did you just say hp/liter? :ricer:

lol j/p bro…

btw… 850eng hp/6L = ~140hp/L :stuck_out_tongue: