??? about FMIC

schooled

:hay:

Actually well done, I’ve learned much.

it was working fine for him last time i saw the car.

and iv been in those shoes too many times.

ummm, okay :bloated:

i sincerely take gary’s knowledge willingly and seriously, (because he obviously has a lot of experience in the field), and i can learn a lot from him.

in regards to the statement quoted, generally speaking, until someone on this board comes up with higher powered combo with the matching efficiency as i have and tell me im wrong, i would hardly say i was schooled :wink: that statement was not directed towards gary. im sure he could come up with just as good if not better combo than myself given the same spectrum; i was just responding to the input above.

i know this probably sounds arrogant, but it is what it is

I’m lost, I really was just implying that you schooled the ricer.

Arrogant as it seemed, I know where that could of been a misunderstanding. I retract my previous inquire, and that to be directed towards myself.

I’m probably firing on 7 cylinders anyways. It’s an lt1 thing.

im confused too. im tired, dont mind me :stuck_out_tongue:

:word: the truth

ANDY WHAT ARE YOU DOING CHANGE THE FUEL OR SOMETHING!!!

Intercooler cores that you see on ebay are cheap, light and efficient on low boost where the air is indeed not compressed as much. Simply put the more boost you run the more the air is going to be compressed and the more you compress air the more heat it generates. This is where a quality core comes in. The idea behind a core with internal fins that like the Garrett cores is to transfer heat from the intake charge to the core then to the air outside of the core (ambient).

When yo uuse a core like those found on ebay it will work well with a large turbo that is not boosting anywhere near it’s efficiency. The reason is simple, since you are not compressing the air enough to cause a substantial rise in temperature the core doesn’t need to do any real work. And since they have little if any turbulaters inside the rows it doesn’t create a restriction. Air flows by fast and the core is able to remove what little heat you are adding to the charge, because there is not enough boost to add substantial heat. Get me.

The idea behind the garrett and other similar quality cores that use some form of turbulator is to create a restriction. As air passes by these internal fins it bumps into them. The result is a passing of heat from the air to the material. This is what cools your intake temps. This is what is important. If you are concerned about a pressure drop just get a physically larger core. Otherwise the intercoolers job is to transfer heat and without internal fins or some form of extruded tube that job can be difficult

To sum it up. Like Gary said. Hi boost = high quality intercooler needed. Low boost = crap intercooler needed.

Turbo size does not matter. Even though one turbo compared to another will flow more at the same boost level etc, the main factor is the heat added to the intake charge from the compression of air and how you are going to get rid of it :slight_smile:

Ok well if you want to say engine hp…mine is probably about 475 by 2l thats 237.5hp/l. :stuck_out_tongue: 97more hp per liter than you

mindless is looking to make 550 on a 1.8l or 305.5hp/l 165more hp per liter than you

while your FMIC science is well put and understandable, you are using psi or Boost as too general a statement.

i know i dont need to tell you this, but it seems you are overlooking it

take my last setup and respective turbo

76gts @ 15psi through a 6L LS1 = max efficiency

the same as

76gts @ 30psi through a 1.8L B18 = max efficiency (<–for sake of argument, idk exact values)

in both cases, the turbo is working EQUALLY as hard to produce said MAP.

why is MAP higher in B18? simply put, LESS VE. but again, TURBO IS WORKING EQUALLY AS HARD, heating up the air EQUALLY

in these cases, bypass efficiency loses between turbo and TB

i do understand/agree that SINCE the smaller engines DO need that extra boost, they will have that added heat DUE to boost. but that is half the riddle for why there is heat in the charge when bypassing path between turbo and TB

shut up i hate you :lol:

whos the ricer you speak of??

And Don when you’re saying high boost do you mean 30 and up or would 20-25 be high also??

ok i have a new siq yay lol

I would consider anything past 10 psi in need of a decent intercooler.

There are things you just dont fuck with. Forced induction components are one. Garbage in, garbage out.

LOL you suck :rofl:

we will see with ma new setup, ricer :lol:

my temporary sig rebuttal

as far as intercooler quality it goes…

Garrett
fluid control
Bell

spearco/ebay
extruded ebay

I put spearco last because they have same internal fin design as the ebay cores.

Garrett for the win. They set the standards for forced induction.

If you search hard enough there is a company in Australia who is making a really kick ass air to air unit that I think goes above and beyond the garrett cores. At that point then you are splitting hairs.

If you ever want to know what to really do to make your car fast, pay attention to the Australians. They rock.

I can’t find the data right now but I’ve seen it where pre intercooler temps are in excess of 300 degrees because of boost being 20psi plus.

i will def attest this this. they are kicking ass with LS1s

Don if your talking about the site I showed ya then you probably mean their air to water.

http://www.are.com.au/index.htm

Everyone should go on there and spend a day digesting everything in the tech and testing they’ve done, especially the water to air intercoolers.

That is very common, compressor speed and size play a big role in how fast air is compressed and thus heated.