??? about FMIC

[quote=“Devioustsi,post:39,topic:39539"”]

Don if your talking about the site I showed ya then you probably mean their air to water.

http://www.are.com.au/index.htm

Everyone should go on there and spend a day digesting everything in the tech and testing theyve done.

[/quote]

Thats the site but their air to air unit is awesome with the machined header panels for the tubes. Again going this over board is splitting hairs but when you are trying to squeeze every horsepower possible out of a setup this is the stuff you do.

My come back to turbos sig lol

and thanks guys even with the bickering im learning alot i did not know b4

o and is bettering a word??

LOL…

im not bickering with em… its a good debate. i dont disagree that a better core is def more beneficial at higher boost levels at all

were any of those f-body’s fast?

[quote=“Carnut,post:41,topic:39539"”]

Thats the site but their air to air unit is awesome with the machined header panels for the tubes. Again going this over board is splitting hairs but when you are trying to squeeze every horsepower possible out of a setup this is the stuff you do.

[/quote]

This is a disclaimer right off their site while talking about the intercooler you are talking about…

• 4 Garrett & Spearco bar/plate cores are more efficient at cooling per cu. cm. than our own, but also suffer more pressure drop & Garrett can have leaks from new.

Yea not bickering but yes very good debate

As far as fast fbods compared to me… NO lol no umm i dunno sherm, full bolt on ls1s, 1 or 2 wheels up cars at lancaster that wanted to challenge me lol. And a couple lt1s but i guess those dont really count right?

[quote=“mindless,post:45,topic:39539"”]

As far as fast fbods compared to me… NO lol no umm i dunno sherm, full bolt on ls1s, 1 or 2 wheels up cars at lancaster that wanted to challenge me lol. And a couple lt1s but i guess those dont really count right?

[/quote]

lol im just playing dude. i know your car is no joke. it would probably kick 99% of this forums’ ass

I just had to post this…these guys do some proper shit.

[quote=“turbo ls1 ss,post:46,topic:39539"”]

lol im just playing dude. i know your car is no joke. it would probably kick 99% of this forums’ ass

[/quote]

Yea and im pretty sure ur car is the other 1% haha but i would seriously love a run at the track with ya. Like before your car is dialed in and on someones old drag radials shake down run kind of thing lol. Im always down for getting my ass handed to me by a dumb fast car all in good fun.

[quote=“Devioustsi,post:47,topic:39539"”]

snip

[/quote]

thats fucking cool :pimp:

[quote=“mindless,post:48,topic:39539"”]

Yea and im pretty sure ur car is the other 1% haha but i would seriously love a run at the track with ya. Like before your car is dialed in and on someones old drag radials shake down run kind of thing lol. Im always down for getting my ass handed to me by a dumb fast car all in good fun.

[/quote]

i’d like to get a run in with ya too. im always down for some fun. im really not sure what its gona look like for me at the track next year, as far as even being allowed to run. they used to not give me any beef, but last time i was warned before i even did anything, and they didn’t even know whats up. i’ve contemplated, and finally decided against 8pt’ing the car for various reasons.

regardless, the car will never be ANYTHING NEAR its potential at the track, but i’d be down for a run if i was allowed. that is if i still have the car by then. i have a few people im going to try to sell the car to. so we’ll see how it goes, but some runs would be fun :tup:

btw, if i get the car down the track…ill try to get my hands on some decent tire. ill still have the M6 which is my biggest downfall. and my seat time will be minimal…LOL

on the good side, this setup should have minimal risk of DUMB issues such as plug wires pushing off, and Boost controller hoses melting

more data…

2 similiar cars one on a ebay core one on garrett core.

Starting AIT 64.40 degrees
Ending AIT 122 degrees
Peak boost 42.1 psi
20 psi at 4563 rpm

Starting AIT, 71.60
Ending AIT, 77.oo
Peak boost, 42.27 psi
20 psi at 4691 rpm

guess which is which…

I havent read all 3 pages, but would like to say that I run one of those ebay fmics. To be honest, that means nothing since I still haven’t even brought my car in for tuning and since I run < 10 psi. But I have one and it works for me.

the ebay intercoolers with no name cores work, but the garrett cores work better.

just talking about the cores. like don said, a good core will have turbulators (sp). the short of it they give the ic more surface area for the now turbulent air to come in contact with.
i really don’t want to type a lot before i drink coffee.

oh, and didn’t i do a write up on intercoolers, and efficiency around the same time i did one on bovs? i will have to dig that up and post it if i haven’t already.

anyways, if the seller cant tell you how efficient the ic is, i wouldn’t consider buying it for a high hp build.

[quote=“mindless,post:45,topic:39539"”]

[/quote]

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa… 12.9 > 13.4 :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a spearco on my car and I would not rank it anywhere near an ebay intercooler. I have pushed 25 PSI through mine and have run back to passes and it does not heat soak. The end tanks are much better designed than the ebay ones. In the turbo dodge world it is considered the top of the line. I know it is not the best intercooler but most people, in the turbo dodge world, really don’t need anything better.

I like my 750hp precision intercooler. You can get em’ all day for $450
Talk to Mike @ Innovative. THe one he uses on his car is super nice. IM sure he can get you sweet deal on one.

GL

get a used Greddy one on ebay

win win

wOrd.
You can also check ht. Im sure you can get a nice used one cheap

Just spray some meth if you are getting high temps. I made almost 400 whp on the stock SRT intercooler, and that thing is the size of my arm. I think it was said great above, you can do just fine with an eBay core. I have a few friends making well over 400 whp with them. If you spend the extra money on a nice core, you’ll be better off, but its not 100% necessary, thats for sure!

–mark

Thanks Burch and Estorvito. I keep the 350 hp and 750 hp Precision intercoolers in stock if anyone wants to check them out in person.

Here’s a thread I made on bar and plate vs. tube and fin from a couple years ago if anyone wants to continue their reading:
http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6056

[quote=“turbo ls1 ss,post:29,topic:39539"”]

take my last setup and respective turbo

76gts @ 15psi through a 6L LS1 = max efficiency

the same as

76gts @ 30psi through a 1.8L B18 = max efficiency (<–for sake of argument, idk exact values)

in both cases, the turbo is working EQUALLY as hard to produce said MAP.

why is MAP higher in B18? simply put, LESS VE. but again, TURBO IS WORKING EQUALLY AS HARD, heating up the air EQUALLY

in these cases, bypass efficiency loses between turbo and TB

i do understand/agree that SINCE the smaller engines DO need that extra boost, they will have that added heat DUE to boost. but that is half the riddle for why there is heat in the charge when bypassing path between turbo and TB

[/quote]

Just to clarify…the VE isn’t necessarily higher on the LS1…it may even be lower. That’s a measure of engine efficiency and I believe you were trying to say airflow may be similar? You seem to be talking about something the turbo is doing rather than the engine…

Also, when you say the turbo may be working equally hard, I’m guessing you’re talking about similar shaft speed? You can have equal shaft speeds flowing different amounts of air depending on the airflow of the engine

In a situation with two engine like you mentioned where one requires a higher pressure ratio to flow the same amount of air as the other, the heat created will actually be different depending on the compressor efficiency range each setup is operating in. At some point as PR increases you’ll run into lower efficiency than a lower PR setup flowing the same amount of air and compressor discharge temps will increase.

[quote=“neonglh,post:59,topic:39539"”]

Just spray some meth if you are getting high temps. I made almost 400 whp on the stock SRT intercooler, and that thing is the size of my arm. I think it was said great above, you can do just fine with an eBay core. I have a few friends making well over 400 whp with them. If you spend the extra money on a nice core, you’ll be better off, but its not 100% necessary, thats for sure!

–mark

[/quote]

Eh…since he’s looking to get a new intercooler, and buy the right one for his setup, I have to disagree. Sure people have quick cars with bad intercoolers, but he’s trying to increase the efficiency of his setup and do things the right way. Ebay intercoolers cool horribly so like Don said, if you’re running enough pressure that you need any significant cooling, get a good one.

A lot of Honda guys make good power on crap ICs because they buy massive laggy oversized turbos and then run low boost on them. It doesn’t take a great IC to pull that off. :slight_smile: