installed a FMIC FIXED

picked this intercooler kit up a few days ago. installed it tonight. terrible fit. came with a hotpipe that did not even fit right. had to make the bottom section connect with the stock peice…also notice how low it sits, i have about 3 inches of clearance. going to have to watch out for speed bumps i guess :axe:

was running 8-10 PSI, now im at around 6-8. to fix this problem a boost controller needs to be installed and the boost upped???

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/travypoo/FMIC3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/travypoo/FMIC4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/travypoo/FMIC2.jpg

wtf? Who makes that so I know to steer clear :stuck_out_tongue: As to the pressure drop, I know that’s common with larger intercoolers, especially with smaller turbos, but I dunno if that much of a drop is common.

B-Wurm :smiley:

I think you need to cut up your rebar to move that sucker up. That looks like shit and won’t last long. If it was moved up properly do you think the piping would have worked?

i never even had to cut the rebar. fit perfectly. if i moved it up i could cut each side of the pipe down and it might work. :rolleyes:

thats wayyyyyy too low…the bottom shoulnd even be showing…and especialy not stick out of the bottom of the bumper like that lol

what kit did u get? i got a XS power kit last week for 250$ to my door 8)
and my boost went from7-9 and picked up alot of power, i just had a bit of trouble for fitment between the washer fluid RES. for the cold pipe

wow…good to see companies care about their workmanship and product…ouch.

That intercooler going to eat rocks and look like shit fast. I’d guess that since its such large intercooler and has a large volume to fill that lower the boost a lot. You could just bump it up with the boost contoller or solve the problem by upgrading the turbo to work with your new intercooler…

BTW who’s kit is that? :oops:

thats a Bings kit sadly. im just going to cut the lower cold and hot pipe and it should solve the problem. allthough my boost lowered by a few PSI the car still pulls just as hard. i was going to order an XS power one or some e bay kit. i got this bings kit for a couple hundred dollars less than his asking price so i figured it was a good deal. :finga:

dude there is something wrong there… no way should it sit that low.

http://www.bings.ca/files/DSC_0755.jpg

This is the exact kit and when the bumper is on this car the intercooler does not go below it.

if there is something wrong with the piping please send it back and i will send you other piping… It DEFINATELY should not be sitting that low and there should not be any problems with the pipes lining up.

did you adjust the piping and the IC to fit behind the rebar? or cut the back out of the rebar and then try to make it fit behind it? that could be one reason why it is sitting low and the piping is off because i;ve never heard of this problem before…even with other kits.

I suggest removing the rebar (its only 4 bolts) and remounting the kit higher up… then making your rebar fit.

What i did with mine is i cut out the centre of the rebar and just used the sides of it. in the picture above you can see that jesse simply removed his rebar entirely which is often what people do but not necessarily recommended

one word MADE IN CHINA!

Boost drop is common, when switching to a bigger front mount. Hope you get everything worked out.

dude, china cant afford spaces. MadeInChina

dude, china cant afford spaces. MadeInChina[/quote]

HAHA! for every space thats and extra 10 cents!

but to give some input to this thread that intercooler should fit in their perfectly with some persasion and some custom mounts…talk to jason lange EPIC welding and he will fit that like a dream for you! me and jason both have mounted that big of fmic on the S13 many times and with that bumper its easier to fit them cuz it sits lower then the zenki style one! get someone that can weld to fit it for you and you will be good to go :slight_smile:

the intercooler fit perfectly behind the re bar. im just going to have to cut out the inside of it and cut a few inches off of the piping. hopfully it works out. that hotpipe was not even close though. good thing the bottom section mated with the stock peice so well.

if you can get me some pics of the specific issue it would be much appreciated.

the hotpipe on the drivers side should simply meet the existing hole in the engine bay where the intake box is (for a KA) and then with the turbo elbow.

what part didnt line up? at the turbo or the coupler and the other piping section that connects to the core?

if there actually is a problem i can forward the feedback to the suppliers and back through to the manufacturer. We’ve done this a few times with things like the catbacks and RXB’s when problems were identified.

with so many users of this kit and with no one else reporting this problem though i will need some pics.

as mentioned, if it is simply a piping issue i should be able to take care of it for you

bing

well the 2 lower pipes will for sure have to be cut down about 3-5 inches (if possible). then it should fit allright. as far as the hot pipe goes it didnt work to well. i will try to install it again after the intercooler is rasied and properly fitted. i am going to fix the problem thursday morning at the latest. i will take better pics and get back to you.

fixed the problem tonight. got the intercooler about 4 inches up. fits nicely. in my original post i said my boost levels dropped to about 6 psi. stupid me forgot to plug off the line from the SMIC (same line as the boost gauge Ts off) so it was leaking. plugged it off and im running 9psi still. lost MAYBE 1-2 psi with the large FMIC. pretty pleased with it besides the cold pipe not wanting to fit for me…

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/travypoo/2-2.jpg

help me out here guys,
so would you just turn up the boost controller to equalize the pressure difference?