Bit of buying advice, if you please.

My friend is currently driving a phony pony (v6, auto), it has about 110k on the body little over 50k on the engine. She paid $4k for the car earlier this year (which I think was too much) and is looking to get rid of it already. Her interests for the new car are VW’s (jetta, maybe a passat), and I’ve got a couple of questions on her behalf:

What should she ask for the car? Its running a little rough, could probably use a new tranny since it wasnt swapped when the engine was. All that aside it does drive just fine.

On the topic of the Jetta, she is only going to have about $3k to spend. ILC has his up for around $2k, what kind of problems will a VW with over 100K on it have? I’ve heard the 2.slow is pretty bulletproof, but as always with that many miles it can be a crapshoot.

Those are the few that she would like me to find out about, but any other general advice is much appreciated.

what year, pics, anything that it will need to pass inspection? does it need any other work? does she smoke, how’s the interior?

94, body and interior are perfect nothing to pass inspection, she does not smoke.

Other than being loud (exhaust leak? i havent looked at the bay in detail, but ive driven it) It drives fine, just looking or ballpark figures. It may be up here for sale come summer time, or autotrader where she got her last car.

color? rust? how bad is the exhaust?

3k should get you a pretty solid mk3 jetta. prob. about a 97-98. The 2.0’s are bulletprrof with maintance. The only thing that should be done off the bat, if it has not yet would be timing belt, tensioner and water pump. And if the belt does go, not much to worry about since the engines are non interference. That and usual maintance and she should be ok. They run for ever, cehap to fix, and not hard ti diagnois

WillyBeen: its that weird reddish-orange that only Mustangs get. Ive seen no rust, but I havent looked hard. So id guess maybe some on the underside since it was driven in winter. The loudness im not really sure is the exhaust because i havent taken a good look for the cause of the problem. I assume its an exhaust leak since there is no change in how it drives from before to after it got loud.

So i guess its a great DD, perfect for a project if someone were so inclined. Just looking or a baseline on price to ask, i dont know dick about mustangs, or VWs.

[quote=“dubbin91,post:5,topic:26431"”]

3k should get you a pretty solid mk3 jetta. prob. about a 97-98. The 2.0’s are bulletprrof with maintance. The only thing that should be done off the bat, if it has not yet would be timing belt, tensioner and water pump. And if the belt does go, not much to worry about since the engines are non interference. That and usual maintance and she should be ok. They run for ever, cehap to fix, and not hard ti diagnois

[/quote]

not 100% true, double j’s timing belt broke on his 2.slo and he had to rebuild the head.

the valve wasnt broken, just tweaked a bit. the belt must have broke at the perfect time (or not so perfect)

but ya, 2.0’s are bulletproof, the trannys are a whole diffrent story. reverse likes to chip, common electrical issues, random things. with enough research at a place like www.vwvortex.com you can learn a lot about the cars.

good luck