Black ice + RWD = FAIL....

hey guys…

slammed my 240 into a ditch yesterday doing about 80 down a hill i noticed a patch of black ice so i tried to slow down but i hit the ice, car went first to the left so i countersteered and hit the gas causing her to go strait again. just as i had control the speedo said about 70 then all hell broke loose (as in the ass end) speed wobled to the right and landed in the ditch… not to far from a hydro pole… :-&

and before u start yelling at me for speeding i blame 2 things.
#1 the road upto this point was fine i could see the pavement and it was sanded
#2 trying to keep up to my buddy who has a GMC 4X4 truck that knew where we were going

ill post pics soon

but the aftermath…

everything seems ok… but the tranny seems loose to me… drives normal but when i put it in gear(its an Automatic) the plate that shows what gear your in moves a little bit up and down- side to side. when i change gears its stiff and the whole plate moves before the shifter goes where i want.

not to be rude,
but 4x4’s are heavy, and are great with acceleration in the snow,
its all about the stopping, so my point, is neither have yuo should have been speeding, regardless if one has 4x4 capibilities.

on top of this Im guessing,
you didnt have winter tires…?

and im not trying to be a dick or rude in anyway,
but you only blame 2 things
you need to blame a third, yourself…

Was not getting lost worth by following your friend at the same speed worth this accident?

im curious to what the posted limit on this street?

Even yesterday I was gunna show make / pos a couple video’s of 240’sx with all seasons stopping compared to ones with winter tires…
i knew i should have.

on the side note, 240’s are hella easy to fix,
and even easier to find parts and panels for.
entire the rest of the winter safely.

I have auto tranny parts if you need.

the posted speed was 80KM it was out in oro… i do blame myself for following to quickly, and yea im an idiot… bald tires that wouldn’t pass saftey… i dont need any auto parts yet. the car is parked for the winter as of now. fixing a hole in the frame and doing my 5spd for the spring. got it all ready. just scared the hella outta me.

If i was driving outside right now. I’d be going 40. Hope the damage isn’t bad man, good job on the save attempt, better luck next time.

i have never heard of a car “speed wobbeling”. bike yes but a car, no.

peace

i tried driving today…my car is stuck half way on the road half in my driveway

You’re such an idiot. For trying to save $500 on tires, you will probably now waste $500 or more + a lot of your time to fix the damages.

if you cant get around just as easily in this weather as in any other type of weather you need to brush up on your skills yo…

im out there in a auto 98 Plymouth breeze with decent all-seasons having a total blast.

when your driving to the shop were the new tires are… its kinda hard to have them on before hand. i got 4 X-ice on steelies waiting… im not stupid, just didnt do it in a rush, the 240 isnt my DD yet.

alright ill take that as a lingo error but u get my drift… cars ass went side to side uncontrolled causeing major understeer and thus my ass in the ditch.

hmmmmm sucks

my gf just got some bridgestone rev-01, courtesy of Jammin, and they fukn rock hands down.

while everyone is getting stuck in this 2-3ft of hard packed snow, im blowing by and just giving it.

these tires are the best winters i’ve driven on so far, although my experience on winter tires are slightly limited.

all seasons are alright, depending on what brand you have.

talk to Jammin for pricing on winters, best pricing in town.

i like how son does nothing but accuse you of being stupid and tells your how your wrong lol. before even checking into the full story. ah the internet.

my mazda protege went wild on me 1 time in the winter like 3 years ago, and i was going like 40 loll i bent up the rim a little and the rim started leaking so i had to do a quick fix, i took a hammer and hammered the dent until the wheel stopped leaking.

Hell I do not like most trucks at all in the snow. most of the 4WD systems mean you are basicaly running on two wheels. All I know is that you should take it very easy if you do not have a car that is good in this weather as well as KNOW your skill level. That is what will make all of the differance.

In the future, you’ll want to feather the brakes and counter-steer instead of hitting the throttle and counter-steer.

A car being RWD has nothign to do with hitting black ice and “failing.”

Gas + counter-steer sounds quite similar to attempting…

All season tires are shit in the winter… Winter tires are always worth the money. I have a AWD talon for my winter car and I even have brand new winter tires on it… That thing goes through more then a 4x4 truck it seems sometimes.

I guuess you will get your snow tires on a lil sooner next time. Every year the winter comes. We all know its comming… Y wait?

Im sorry, but did you expect some sort of sypathy? well… sorry maybe try oprah and friends. you should know better than to go faster when your already out of control! dont feel for you at all, and since its an automatic dont feel for the car either.

Whatever man, we all make mistakes, no worries. Fact is you’re alright.

Just learn from the mistakes:

– Get the directions before hand, rather than trusting Mr. 4x4 to allow you to follow safely (think you already learned that though!)
– Get winter tires, they ARE as vital as everyone says (weight in the rear helps a lot too)
– Roll closer to 30-40km/h (or according to conditions), where any weird circumstances will be 10x easier to recover (again think you already knew this)

Hope the car ends up alright too…good luck. :slight_smile: