blew another tranny i think :(

so i was pulling out of my storage unit and i got on it a bit and thought " i havent launched my car since i got it out of storage 3 weeks ago" so i come to a quick stop put my left foot on the brake and started to give it some gas and BOOM WHIRRRRRRRRRRR now everytime i put it in gear (quiet in neutral/park) it just goes WHIRRRRRRRR. so i call up my friend and i get towed home. I get it in my garage lift it up get the wheels off hoping that I broke a axle but not really believing that a axle could make that noise, and un fortunetly I was right I have my asistant put the car in get with his foot off the brake and of goes in gear with both axles turning normaly. when i instruct him to press the brakes WHIRRRRRRR same thing in either drive or reverse. it sounds likea spline is stripped out and only slipps under load. I removed the right axle, knuckle, tention strut rod, and contorllarm as a assembly and the axle is in good condition. I have not played with the driver side because i really don’t htink that a axle could make the noise that i’m hearing. i am at a total loss right now as to what could make that noise. i will make a video tomorrow so you can hear it.

i guess this is just how things go for me. every year for the last 3 years i have replaced trannies in june. this is really getting on my nerves. I just want it to work i’m probably going to go with a FPS tranny this time because i refuse to swap another tranny again! I fail to understand how a drivetrain can be designed so poorly that it can’t take moderate abuse 1 track session and 3 autoX’s. also the tranny had absolutly no previous symptoms of failure it was shifting perfectly with no strange noises, clunks, or rattles. it WAS on a fresh rebuild when i bought it from jayson from TCCA last june.

just when i thought everything was going my way to get this thing turboed the SHO strikes again with ANOTHER tranny failure! all i needed to completer the turbo project was the piping which I was hoping to measure up/order this weekend. I have the cash for a FPS tranny and i don’t mind spending the money IF it cam hold togeather. if it can’t i’ll have to find a different car :tear: :frowning:

side notes: car will not move
same symptoms in drive or reverse but it is louder in reverse and vibarates the car more. both nutral and park make no noise.
this is the 3rd time a tranny failure has left me stranded, tranny #4 better not fail or it will be the end of SHO

when / if tranny 4 fails, swap the sho motor into something rwd with a better tranny … like a classic mustang

stock open diff spider gears = the suck. /end

I blew a tranny once. Totally had no idea… i never even saw the adams apple.

alex, you knew it needed the FPS :tup: AX4S parts are cheap though too.

i’m getting sick of this shit, if the FPS tranny will hold up i’ll have it here next week. I just have to know that it wont break because i’m ripping through these trannies with stock power, what is it going to do with boost! i’ve not had a ton of expierence talking to people with FPS trannies and i just want to know if it will really hold up. for christ sakes its 4K! but there are several S/C SHO’s running around with hise setup. IDK thats a lot of money but I think i’m dedicated enough.

and hotrodkid call me we need to make a shopping list ASAP i would like to check it out today or tomorrow if your free. i keep calling and getting your mom.

FPS ftw!

LMFAO!!! I can’t believe I’m the first to catch this.

well here is the vid as promised.

highres version 28meg
http://www.sonikempire.com/somedude/TrannyGrind_04-29-2006_HI%20(somedude).wmv

low res version 9mep
http://www.sonikempire.com/somedude/TrannyGrind_04-29-2006_LO%20(somedude).wmv

sounds like a stripped spline? (or converter?) soon as it’s under load it grinds. ugh.

nice hairdryer though :smiley: