Blower still blowing when car is off (pontiac)

Guy I work with is having problems with his Pontiac Grand Prix. I believe its a 04.

He turned off the car this morning and pull the key out. He then heard the fan still spinning air out the vents. He has tried to pull relays which have done nothing. He pulled the battery, which caused it to stop, the second he plugged back in, the fan started again.

The only thing that I’m coming up with is a short in the system causing the fan to get constant power.

If all fuses have been pulled and relays pulled, how does the system still get power to the fan.

Any help will be appreciated.

Often it is the blower motor resistor. I had this same issue on a Nissan frontier and a 540, both times it was the resistor.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1429703&parttype=6557&partkey=982796&a=FRc1429703k982796-2604961

I’ll let him know to check that out. Any way of doing a test or is this just one of those parts you need to remove and replace to find out?

I’ve had to replace one before in my old Prizm. It was pretty easy to get to right underneath the glove box. On mine you could visibly see how burnt out it was, but I’m not sure if that’s how they all are.

I was going to say BMR as well… happened to my Range Rover.

The fan usually is directly connected to the positive line, then the BMR grounds it. So that being said when the BMR fails it can cause the blower to stay on. Its usually about $30 and easy to change.

Thanks guys, I passed the word off to him and I’m sure I’ll be asked to take a look at doing it. lol

So now…lol How do you get a glove box to open if it is stuck closed. (without using a crow bar and breaking it) lol

use a key?

Smear some pipe dope on it.

^^^I see what you did there.

He has to go through the glove box to get to it? Can it not be accessed from underneath in the passenger foot space?

Thanks for putting up such an important point and providing good answers to it as even i have faced similar trouble and seems to catch us off guard horribly.

Ya think. lol

From what I watched (a quick Youtube) to show where the device was, it looks like the Glove has to come off because of being completely in the way. I didnt listen to his Youtube or care to have his amazing “expert” opinion on things. lol Just wanted to see if they showed an area to look.