BMW 335i...Vishnu retune

Vishnu (known for tuning EVOs) has been working on a new BMW 335i which has a TT I-6.

So far, after only a basic ECU re-tune and a catback exhaust, they dynoed 332hp and 348 ft-lbs to the wheels…not bad for a start.

The stock car started off at around 277whp and 288 ft-lbs.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n198/shivpathak/Stockvs2ndattempt.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n198/shivpathak/AFRstockvstuned.jpg

This may have to be my next car…I could buy a 4 door 335i and have a sleeper…no one would suspect a 400+hp monster under the hood.:eek3:

Sounds about right. The same mods to the Audi 2.7L V6 Bi-turbo yields the same increase in hp. The 335i Coupe looks awesome.

im looking at the slower 328 both cars are really nice and alot better than the gtp well see when what happens when the time comes

sounds about wrong. Boost and only 330 hp?

that’s not a ton, but its a luxury car. its not meant to have a million horsepower… a 50hp gain from an exhaust and a retuned computer is pretty good.

330rwhp in a BMW is around 390HP at the crank…which, like mentioned before, is not too bad from only a software retune and a slapped-on, one-off catback exhaust…plus, the retune was only running 11psi max on 91 Oct. gas…it’s not going to be capable of putting out Supra power but I bet someone will be able to get quite a bit more HP out over time…the car has only been available for about a month.

…wait until people start upgrading the turbos (they’re tiny), increase boost and add headers…race cats (or no cats) and I’m sure power will increase substantially.

that is one sick car. I wonder how bad they are going to hurt sales of the M3 because they probably have more potential for less money.

i think a lot of the people that have m3’s have it because it’s status symbol, and not because its a nice car. i bet 75% of them have no idea what they have, they just know that they bought the one that was a little more expensive than the others.

I also read in C&D that the M3 will get a V8 next year, to step it up from this turbo 3 series. Personally, all things being equal, I’d never buy an M3 now.

a few peopl might buy a M3 for a status symbol…but I would bet that most people buy an M3 because of what it offers and what the regular 3-series models do not. If they wanted to buy a BMW that was more expensive than the regular 3-series, they would go for a 5, 6 or 7 series instead…not a M3…because a M3 is too difficult to live with on a daily basis for most people…it’s very high strung and has a fairly harsh ride.

I didn’t buy my M3 because of status. I bought it because I wanted a car that I could use as a daily driver, was attractive, somewhat practical and luxurious and was capable of doing well at the track over a weekend. At the time (in 2002), no other car compared…plus, I’ve wanted one since 1987 when the e30 M3 was introduced.

You talk of status…I’ll never forget the Saturn I saw on the Parkway North a few years ago…it has Honda badges plastered all over it. Now that’s someone who is interested in status.

I also read in C&D that the M3 will get a V8 next year, to step it up from this turbo 3 series. Personally, all things being equal, I’d never buy an M3 now.

yes…the new M3 will get a high revving V8 engine which will be derived from the V10 found in the current M5 and M6. It should put out from 400-450HP.

For the people only interested in acheiving Cheaper HP or just can’t afford the M3, the 335i would definitely be the car…but the M3 will look different and offer a much different overall driving experience. Plus, no matter what you do to a turbo…you still can’t emulate the feeling of driving a very responsive naturally aspirated engine…turbos feel very artificial in the power delivery and will lag.

I agree it’s cheaper horsepower…but why would anyone buy a BMW for cheap HP? Chrysler has that market pretty well cornered right now with the SRT8 line. Nobody looks to a BMW for cheap power.

Why would you want to? I prefer the feeling of turbo power.

That’s personal opinion, and the reviews I’ve read of the 335, say it feels like the V8, and they didn’t notice any lag. Obviously bigger turbos would bring some lag, but again, some of us like a turbo powerband.

I know you BMW purists don’t like turbos, that’s why so few BMWs have had them, but a properly set up turbo does not feel artificial.

Gee I think I could survive…I drive a freaking Jeep. It gets worse gas mileage, and rides worse.

And you guys wonder why people stereotype BMW owners, you just tried to make it sound like driving a $50k car is some kind of a hardship. I guess the average BMW owner really is a big bitch.

I didn’t mean that people would buy a 335i because of cheap horsepower…this thread is about a BMW 335i. Within this context, someone looking to buy a BMW 3-series might turn to the 335i for the reasons already stated.

Why would you want to? I prefer the feeling of turbo power.

I guess that’s personal preference…I have a turbo car ('05 Legacy GT) and it has a lot of lag which is sometimes annoying. It has a decent amount of power but when the boost kicks in, you can definitely tell that the engine is not doing all the work…I’m not saying it’s a bad thing but it’s a feeling that some would rather not have.

That’s personal opinion, and the reviews I’ve read of the 335, say it feels like the V8, and they didn’t notice any lag. Obviously bigger turbos would bring some lag, but again, some of us like a turbo powerband.

I know you BMW purists don’t like turbos, that’s why so few BMWs have had them, but a properly set up turbo does not feel artificial.

I have yet to drive a 335i but will very soon…but I’ve talked to people that have. There’s definitely a hint of lag and unresponsiveness but, like you said, it’s not that bad since the turbos are tiny. I prefer the qualities of a NA engine but definitely like turbos as well. Turbo engines can also provide qualities that an NA engine cannot…such as low end torque. The 335 has max torque from 1400-5000 rpms. You’re not going to find that in a NA engine of the same size.

Gee I think I could survive…I drive a freaking Jeep. It gets worse gas mileage, and rides worse.

And you guys wonder why people stereotype BMW owners, you just tried to make it sound like driving a $50k car is some kind of a hardship. I guess the average BMW owner really is a big bitch.

…and this is relevant…how? When did I make it sound like driving a $50-60K car was a hardship? Read it again…I said that some people would find the qualities of a M3 too difficult to live with on a daily basis…hmmmmm…I’m guessing that if someone has $50K to spend on a car, they’re going to spend it on something they like and enjoy driving. If someone wants a soft, cushy, comfortable ride, why in the hell would they buy an M3?

Well, I’m glad you could survive the harshness and high strung nature of a M3. I’m guessing that a lot of people could survive on a daily basis as well…but most would choose not to.

My car only has 300hp from the factory and its boosted but that does not mean it does not have serious potential. The new BMW I6-TT is going to be a sick ass ride. I am really interested in them, if I can swing it, thats a car I would buy. Im looking to get rid of my Denali because its just a gas killer. I would love to single turbo a new 335i. Its going to destroy the e46m3’s

The 335i is already just about as fast as the e46 M3…so a few tweaks here and there…it’s going to be a lot faster. The car is underrated by BMW…some stock cars have dynoed as high as 299rwhp…that’s over 350hp at the crank.

It’s never going to have as much potential as your Supra…but it will be interesting to see what happens.

i have a ? for u bmw guys. im looking to get one when the 08’s come out and get a left over 07 cert preowned. they claim 6 years 100k miles but is that full bumper to bumper ? or are you better off getting one new w/ the 4 year 50k mile everything covered incl the oil changes the 335 is a lil pricey but seems like the perfect car for my next 5 years power auto and luxury

I love the new 335i but I’ve become gun shy regarding two little snails. Especially when they appear to be so tight/jammed in the engine area. Heat has to be a concern.

Also, the idea of simple ECU upgrade making a decent HP increase is quite nice but at what cost? The fear of course is blown turbos. In this case I’d prefer the NA power of the M3.

i guess it’s a possibility, but i think their retune involves more than just upping the boost to some rediculous level. i know there are a few companies out there (including vishnu) that do this sort of thing with the subarus and evo’s and i haven’t really heard anything about blown turbos, or motors for that matter, with these off the shelf tunes. i think they have to keep them relatively tame because they dont get to dyno every car that runs their product.
these companies have to keep their image up, if people started smoking turbos and motors with their software, they wouldnt be in business very long. it seems like far more trouble comes when people get brave and try doing this kind of stuff themselves because the read about it on the internet.

I can only speak to the reliability of the bi-turbo set up on the Audi B5 S4 2.7L. The engine is shoehorned into the engine bay and the turbos are exposed to a lot of heat. The 335i engine design does not look much better. Nor do the turbos look much larger. However, it might very well be a great design. Nevertheless, dozens, and dozens, and dozens of S4 owners can attest to blown stock turbos (9psi). The process is accelerated with an ECU upgrade (15-18psi). Naturally the Audi tuners are just as reputable as any WRX or Evo tuner. It’s just the price you pay to play. I made it 62k miles before the passenger side turbo sh*t the bed. Roughly 50k of those miles were chipped.

Again, this is all based off what appears to be a similar engine set-up that I’ve been exposed to the last three years.(I’m not all that familiar with the single turbo set-up of the WRX and Evo.) The 335i engine design might be fantastic… I’m just providing some food for thought.

I don’t really think you’re ever better off buying a brand new car unless it’s a special circumstance…I’d rather let someone else pay for the first year of depreciation…

THE CPO Warranty is only an extension of the factory 4y/50K warranty…it is different.

http://www.bmwusa.com/CPO/Benefits/Warranty.htm

…but the 4yr/50K warranty is pretty generous…it covers just about everything including brake pads and rotors…

yeah i definately want the first year to be gone b4 i buy… the extended warrenty convers a good bit too !