E46 m3 vs 335i vs E9x m3? Opinions on each?

Not really to make a purchase until fall but I figure I’d buy the car down here before I go back up north to avoid a year of salt rust.

PROs to the e46, proven engine,lighter than the others, cheaper,better aftermarket

335i- easy power- cheaper insurance than the M cars (i think), less flashy
cons- 1 wheel drive, and it’s $2k to add a LSD :frowning: EWW

e9x M3- Possible sedan option in an M car :slight_smile: awesome motor but a bit heavier than the e46 and obviously the most costly out of the three.

Honestly It’s prob going to be down between the e46 M and the 335, just because for the price of an M I could pick up a 996 turbo, and I think it’s a bit out of my price range anyways for the time being.

And I’m sure I’m not the only one asking these questions with the recent interest in the 335

E90 M3 > E92 M3 > E90 335i > E46 M3

IMO of course. Granted I haven’t driven an E90 M3, but I have driven the other three at the track and on the street.

what is your price range exactly anyway? i paid less than 40k for my new toy…

the M series cars are a lot more raw/ unforgiving then say a 335i…

I test drove the 335 before i bought my M, and liked the M3 more… it was just wanted to kill me every chance it got…

The 335 gets its edge in luxury…

A used E9X M3 is a nice… they have a great exahust note… but for the price i couldnt find anything i liked more then my E60 M5…

I’d like to stay around $30k, the E9x m3’s are still in the mid to high 40’s (obviously an '08 with 30k+), which COULD possibly go down come winter time… I know I’m not going to be purchasing a house in the next 3 years so I’m going to splurge a bit before I have to grow up

When I bought my 335, I wasn’t all that impressed with the e92 M3. To be fair, I was on a test drive so I didn’t get to drive it hard at all. Even if I really did like it, I would have trouble justifying that much additional cost, especially when you factor in how much you can improve the 335 for a relatively nominal cost.

thats what i figured the E9X m3’s were still going for…

ive driven both before i bought my s4 i wasnt really impressed with the 335i as far as power goes but thats stock, clearly after a siqq t0000n it will make a world of difference. aside from that the car was really nice for a daily driver. now the e46 was comfortable but without the traction control on and the sport button engaged that was really fun but i didnt think it would make the best daily. so i guess for me its kind of a toss up. either way you will have a really nice car. :tup:

but…im sure you can find a decent 996 by the time your ready to pull the trigger for somewhere in the mid 30’s… <3

^ dot…

e92 styling… warranty… etc etc > e46 m3…

e92 m3 was too much for me to justify spending on a dd at this point in the game… at 40k i would have been thinking pcar.

ps… this was the debacle i was facing for the past 4 months +… i even had some other cars in the mix…

THAT being said… i couldnt be happier than I am now.

EDIT. i was referring to sams post, but what walker said too…

id be worried about turbo p-car reliability though… not to mention no need for awd in fl.

So cap the stub axles off, remove the front diff and the driveshaft and run it RWD like a real man.

go for the porsche

get a nicer home or more down on a more reasonable home, save money on the car

gt2 mod? hehe

on 6speedonline.com its actually pretty common for guys to do this

awd is just fine with me lol

Walker, I’m going to steal your driveshaft in the middle of the night.

Even on the used market the e90/92 M3 is 10-15K+ more than the 335. With that being said you could add the diff and every part you want and still have money left over and a slightly faster car. The interiors are almost the same, you really dont get much more on the interior with the M these days. An e90 M3 is very good looking indeed, but the premium in price is alot.
I think you need to drive a tuned/modded 335, it will help your decision.

Jeller

:squintnono:

Im afraid to drive a modded 335i… its going to cost me money in the short term if i do…

loling.

Get a tune at least, its the best $$$/hp mod you can do if your only going to do one thing really. The new Procede v4 is really nice, look for one used and save some $$$.

:tup:

IMO, if the topic of comparing insurance costs comes up when purchasing a vehicle, you are buying something you really can’t afford.

Buy a low mileage LS2 GTO. Not only will you avoid being a 335i faggot poser, but you will also save alot of money. Put on an APS twin turbo kit and let the rapings commence like a catholic priest at an elementary school