BMW Codes ????????

I drive a '98 M3 and two code pop up. They are: P1188 & P1250
I called Towne BMW and they said they can not help me over the phone. They said I need to bring it in so they can scan it & it will cost me $100 per hour. I told them that I already have the codes & I want to know what they are. They said they can not help me over the phone. :tdown:

I need to know specifically what the codes are not a ballpark of what they might be!
If any1 could help it would be nice.

Also I just changed Bank1 Sensor1 (o2) & add a new fuel filter yesterday.

1188 has to do with air fuel and can either be refering to problems with your O2 sensor, an air leak in the intake or a faulty MAF (might just be covered in oil from you PCV)

1250 is generally a referance to your fuel sender being on it’s way out, but I’ve also read references to fuel trims, so if might be trying to trim fuel in accordance with the error from 1188, but this is all speculation of course. Check the easy stuff first, then go to the more advanced/combined answer.

clean your MAF & reset the computer

then go from there

I will try and remember to look them up at work tomorrow for you

what is: P1188
Linear 02 Sensor / Compens. Resistor Short to ground

What I do know is:
I replaced (bank1 Sensor1) O2 & replaced my old fuel filter for a new 1.
I also checked my intake for any leaks, haven’t found any.
I have had my codes reset twice and after driving for 50 mile each time my check engine light comes on

any other ideas?

[quote=“ly555is,post:4,topic:30417"”]

clean your MAF & reset the computer

then go from there

[/quote]

I will have to try this.

Sounds like it’s your MAF then to me, as already stated, but it’s just an educated guess.

yeah, my '94 t-bird w/4.6 came up with comparable codes, i couldn’t figure it out, took it to ford…

and still wonder what would’ve happened had i just cleaned the damn MAF myself instead of paying them to replace it :tdown:

the fix may cost less than $5, and some time. No reason not to give it a shot before further diagnosis

search bimmerforums.com and you will find all sorta answers.

You dont happen to have a code reader do you??? I need to scan my car to see what codes I am reading to throw the sensors I have…

-:tdown: to Towne BMW
-Bimmerforums.com was no help either
-I figured it out myself
-I needed a new mass air
:tup: to Chris (owner) @ Willz.com a local that sells BMW used parts

Chris doesnt own Willz, he runs the US Section, but yes, he’s very helpful :wink:

he’s half owner

Oh, news to me. That’s cool.