BMW M3 header question

Hey guys, I have a question for you euro pros.

The other day the M3 got pretty loud and to my surprise the rear exhaust header cracked!

I’m looking to put a set of long tubes on it now, and was wondering if any has done this before?

I’d be doing it at work on jack stands in a loading bay. Any tips or tricks?

If I remember correctly you need to make some fairly precise cuts to get the long tubes to line up with the mid pipes so you can use the provided slip joints… good luck… have fun! (use lots of liquid wrench/deep creep).

i’m pretty sure i remember seeing a rather extensive thread on this in the FI section of bimmerforums. i’d suggest you read up on there.

while i generally think everyone on bimmerforums is a major idiot, the track and FI sections are filled with people who know what they are doing.

Track section, maybe. FI section? That’s laughable.

I’ll probably run it open headers until I have a shop make up a mid pipe for me.

I’ll check out bimmer forum to see how hard it is to slide them up in.

theres alot of talk on e46fanatics about headers, i think a diy too. have you checked m3 forums? i found the majority of the people on these forums are idiots but there are some that are extremely knowledgeable…

this. may. sound. crazy.

ebay headers for the s50/s52?

fit. great. no problems whatsoever. myself and my buddy dan have run them with no problems. and he’s a bmw master tech.

Yah dude I’ve heard a lot of good from the ebay ones. I think they are like $120 shipped?

Did you install them from the underside? Is it easy?

What did you do for the air pump? Can I keep the cel off somehow?

nothing involving e36 manifold/headers is easy. 24 nuts and about 22 of them suck.:smiley: you can buy air pump sims for relatively cheap. AA sells them and some others as well.

e46 ebay headers fit like shit but are seconds off a big name manufacturer. they’re all the craze, it’s about getting the right ones though. without a cat people dyno some pretty awesome gains.

it definitely sucks trying to get at the nuts, but it’s not awful

I put headers in my e46 with little to no problem. Need to feed them in from the bottom and wrangle them into posistion as the fit is tight. I used a lift though, so i could stand under it.

You should try to get the car up as high as possible though. You need the room to get the headers fed up into posistion.

plan on using new bolts. The existing ones are actually studs with a nut. If you are heavily corroded, it’s likely you’ll pull the stud out before the nut.

also use ratcheting wrenches. But good luck, these things are a pain in the ass to do.

If going the Ebay route make sure they are the “JVT” brand, that is the brand most people have been having luck with. Also plan on this taking more than one day by the time you run into all your problems and what not.

Ugh I was hoping this was going to be cheap!

Long tube headers: $120
SAP Sim: $150 LoL
V-Band mid pipe: $100

Oh well.

really? you think that’s expensive? It’s a BMW pal!

THAT IS CHEAP!!! go price out some real supersprint headers.

I seen the headers on Ebay and was hoping to get it done cheap.

Yes the M3 is my cheap DD.

Anyone want to buy a used SAP? LoL AA is on zee way.

The headers on the corvette were over $1500 alone.

I just purchased a set of Kodiak Wheels for the C5 too. :slight_smile:

http://www.kodiakracingwheels.com/images/frontangle.jpg

SS headers and cats list at $4,400

:eek:!

Why on earth! You could buy a built LSx for that kind of money and actually go fast! LoL

Just buy these from AA:

http://active-auto-werke.com/images/products/640/product30.jpg

Matt & I did headers on my M3 and it wasnt hard to change out.