Boats v. school me

Boats really aren’t as expensive as people claim, if you’re smart about it. One thing to keep in mind is that the costs go up exponentially as the size goes up. My 18 footer is pretty economical to run, but a 25 footer with monster V8’s will cost hundreds to fill up and rip through that gas in a lap around grand island. I’m happy with my penis size so I really don’t need to sit there in the local swimming hole with my thru-hull exhaust echoing off the shore while I idle around because I can’t afford the gas at anything more than idle speed. You see these tools all the time, talking about how “she’ll do 70+”, but you never see them anywhere but anchored at the booze spots or the marina. They leave the swimming spot, open it up for 30 seconds to show off, then head straight back to the marina to fill the tank up and dock it.

Docking fees are another big one that you shouldn’t need if you keep the size reasonable. I’m not sure if I’d want to trailer and launch/retrieve a 30 footer every time I went out, but my 18 footer tows like it’s not even there, and I can launch/retrieve it myself without even thinking about it.

2k in dock fees or $40 for a seasonal launch permit? That 2k more than pays for the gas I’ll use in a season even if I’m going out 2-3 times a week. But it means one of you has to drive an SUV or pickup, or keep a beater pickup as a 3rd vehicle just for launching. My wife loves her SUV so I’m all set. I get the GTO to enjoy as a DD, she gets something that will tow the trailer and she likes, win win.

Most of the routine maintenance on a sterndrive boat is just like a car so if you’re at all handy you can do it yourself and save money there. It’s just like a car because in case you didn’t know those sterndrive motors are just GM blocks with either some VolvoPenta or Mercruiser bits bolted on. And unlike a car in the 18-20 foot range there is usually TONS of room to get access to everything on the motor.

Cliffs: A boat is as expensive as you make it. Buy a huge boat with a big motor, or multiple motors, expect it to cost a lot. Buy a nice little 18 footer and cut your costs where you have control over them and it’s very economical.

Great example, I had a 16 foot fiberglass runabout when I was still in college working at ClientLogic’s call center. Paid $2400 for it and sold it 2 years later for $2400 after spending $60 in repairs. It had a 70 HP outboard that would run all day on a 6 gallon tank if you kept the RPM’s in the sweet spot.

I don’t know you or you experience level but I definitly wouldn’t spend that kind of cash for a brand new boat if you don’t have much experience with boating.

Beginner boaters always tend to have mishaps, minor crashs when trying to dock, or navigation errors with markers and rocks etc.

Another thing I will mention is roller trailers suck. Bunk > Roller.

He already said towing is not an option because he doesn’t have anything to tow with or a place to store it I’m guessing.

The size of the boat is definitly another thing to keep in mind depending on where you boat. In some places an 18 foot boat will get the shit slapped out of it. I know some of the bigger lakes in new england are like that, and obviously the ocean is pretty brutal.

I’d rather have a bigger boat. That baja gets 3.07 MPG at 35.5 MPH and thats with a 496. A Sea Ray sport which is a 20 footer gets 3.6 MPG at 30 MPH and thats with a 305 so you’re not saving a whole lot of gas.

I think the big thing that kills your gas is twin engines. It is also twice as much maintenance. The only thing I like about having twins is when one of my engines goes down I can still limp home on the other one. When I worked for the sheriffs office my usual boat was a 30 foot almar with twin fuel injected 502s. I also drove the scarab with twin 250 outboards. I kind of got used to twins so that is what I wanted for my own boat. However, I think my next boat will just have a single big block in it.

Anything less than 21 is really just a good weather boat. You really need 24+ for when it gets a little rough

No matter how you cut it boats are expensive. I agree with most of what JayS says. I’ve never had a boat but my friends with boats haven’t had much luck with keeping it in the water.

I have though about in that size range. Many people will disagree with me here, but I think the outboard is the way to go in a 18’ boat. More interior room, get on plane faster, easier to work on the engine. No antifreeze in winter either. Four strokes are pretty good on fuel and DI two strokes (E-tech, Optimax) aren’t bad on fuel with great power/weight.

I just can’t justify the cost at this point in time. Besides it would cut into motorcycle time. I’ll just wait until I’m wealthier so I can afford that 30’ Grady White I want.

Towing is always an option. Never more than a vehicle trade in away from owning something capable of towing an 18 foot boat around. As for storaging a boat on a trailer even if you can’t store it at home your options for finding a cheap place to store it on land are a whole lot greater than your options for storing it in the water.

Another problem with buying new for your first boat is you don’t really know what you want from a boat when you get your first one. It’s not like a car where they will all pretty much get you from point A to point B. You may find you like cruising, or fishing, or watersports, or overnighting. But chances are one of these things will be your primary desire for getting out on the water. You may want a craft that can do all of them, and that’s possible, but your second boat will be one that will do what you like most the best. That’s why picking up a used boat for your first one is always a good idea. Find a deal on it, use it to see what you like, and sell it in a year or two to buy something that fits your needs better.

boats are fuckin hella fun. grew up on them. my rents had everything from a open bow 23ft larson to now having a sea ray 330. yes things get expensive but if you enjoy it fuck it. as for driving it, pretty simple i dont see you having any kind of accidents in a sub 25 foot boat even docking on a windy day.

If you do any local research buying a boat, my mom works up at bills boat works on route 5 near woodlawn, they have been into boating for like 10 years. she has seen it all when it comes to boats. that store has many good peole and a bunch of used boats most of the time. I would say do as much research as possible.

My dads twin 454 is fun as hell with satellite tv, 2 beds, microwave, stove, tables, 2 fridges and sinks, heat and airconditioning, blah blah blah, but its not reasonable for watersports.

Smaller boats are not as baller, def sucks with no bathroom, but hella fun for motorsports if thats your thing.

http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39707

Always remember…“The two best days in a boatsman’s life. The day he buy’s her and the day he sell’s her”.

“You gotta pay to play” I have dumped more money into my cars than my boat.

We had a boat, it was def. fun. If I ever got back into it, I’d go for a PWC though.

Don’t buy a new boat if you have no experience. Bad move.
Get a used boat, play with it, and get a new one in a year or 2 when you know what you are doing.

Like JayS said, I would not keep it in the water. You will spend more time cleaning it then using it. The boat will ALWAYS be filthy. Cleaning a boat is much harder and more time consuming then washing a car.

Deep V hulls will be more stable and much more comfortable/enjoyable in any setting other then calm water or lakes. The bigger the boat the more stable it is in rough water as well. For example taking a 18ft boat out on the Niagra River is shit. You get pounded and thrown around like crazy in spots and when other boats pass by.

Either way bring a knowledgeable person with you when you buy.

The point of getting a boat is to enjoy it. Plan well because many factors come into play. Nothing like owning a a car.

whatever you end up doing is up to you but like everyone said do not buy a new boat. Talking to salesman now they will try and give you the good old “buy now in the off season will prices are down” line but the fact is boating sales are hurting and a deal can be found anytime of the season. Buy a older used boat now and see how you like it and then decided what you want to do. As JayS said you might go in thinking you want to do waterports but then you wished you had a bigger boat for vacation trips or whatever. Growing up we started on a 17 foot sea ray and then moved up to a 22 foot sea Ray cuddy cabin. Now with me getting a boat I know what I want and what size I want but you might decided with something different. Boating is totally different to everyone. some like speed (Like me), some might want comfort, some might want a ski boat. Look into something with a open bow to start with since that will be the most “logical” first boat and move on from there. I also recommend one with a Mercruiser in it and not a Volva Penta.

yes twins are nice incase something breaks but also I don’t think it warrants the extra price. A 25 outlaw will do 70+ which is plenty on lake Erie but I must say I’d love to get behind the wheel of a twin 502 :2fingers:

+1 Truth. I loved boating but found this to be true

I gotta give this the :bloated:

In the size range he’s looking it would be a VP SX drive vs a Mercruiser Alpha 1.

The SX is light years ahead of the Alpha. The Penta’s cone clutch will shift smoothly while the alpha’s cheaper dog clutch is a clunky pile of shit. Then just look at the drives. The SX is much more comparable to Mercuisers next model up, the Bravo series, but you won’t find many if any 18-20 footers with a bravo drive.

The only reason I wouldn’t go Volvo Penta is if there wasn’t an authorized service center where I lived. Mercruiser definitely has the dealer network advantage but VP gains share each year. Not an issue at all in WNY because there are lots of places to get a VP serviced.

I have a 30’ w/ twins sbc350’s , much more maneuverable than a 25’ w/ a single. Ive got a 149gal fuel tank that i filled up three times from early May to beginning of November , and went all over the on it ,there wasn’t one weekend all summer we didn’t. Sleeps 6 go down on Friday night come home Sunday night… As far as slipping you have to take care of your boat… end of year pressure wash all the algae off , beginning of year new bottom paint(you roll it on) , during the year don’t be a slob cleanup after yourself , it really isn’t that hard to keep a boat clean. We kept our boat at beaver island marina and are moving over to river oaks for 08 but it was only 800 for the year and included electric , city water, security(24hr harbormaster), and the park…lot easier to slip not tow… gl

Volvo=9 inch , built to last… Mercruiser=old 10bolt , built to sell…

Well of course buying anything as long as you have the money is an option. Sometimes people aren’t willing to sacrifice things though. In this case I’m guessing the OP doesn’t really want to drive an SUV or Truck around all year round to trailer a boat.

Storing a boat in the water isn’t nearly as bad as some of you are making it out too be (assuming its freshwater). Just scrub it once or twice when your out there swimming during the season and then have the Marina chemical wash it before it gets put on the trailer for winter storage.