attn: people with boats

few questions for those with boats out there…

Where do you dock your boat? How much do you pay?

What all do you need to operate a boat in PA? Is a boating training course required?

thanks

Depending on your birthdate you need to take a course, its easy, its online… just open the study guide in one browser, take the test in another… simple. I think the birth date is anything over 1979?

What kind of boat were you looking at? I think to dock them, they usually charge $20-$30 per foot? Someone correct me if im wrong…

I don’t currently own a boat but used to and know lots of people who do. A few of my friends are members of boat clubs down in Neville Island. They pay anywhere from $500 to $1000 a year, plus you have to donate a certain amount of time to “work” on the boat club docks. Also its very hard to get into the boat clubs that are actually half way decent. You usually have to know someoe thats already a member to get you in. Very limited space as you already know i’m sure.

Cool, that sounds easy enough. The boat I am looking at is a 1988 24’ SeaRay. It’s current owner(a friend of mine) has put a ton of work into the boat including a new engine.

Just remember the best 2 days in a boaters life. Day of Purchase Day of Sale. :slight_smile:

Build a dock with the millions from pittspeed infront of my house.

Sounds badass 24’ :cool:

it helps to take the Coast Guards’ boater saftey course. Just good information to know, all rules and regulations. + aloud to operate a PWC

This is good information for me too. I’m looking at an 18’ boat as soon as I get my camp sold.

I really want a Jet Ski, but wtf am I going to do with getting only 1 person plus me on it?

The online boating test in PA is extremely easy. It’s mostly common knowledge. We have been boating in my family since I was born. My family currently has two boats and a jetski. Although we do not dock on the river, I know people who dock on Neville Island and will pay anywhere from 400-1,200 dollars yearly. Since we have our own boat dock on a lake down e rly never have to worry about anything.

What kind of work did your friend put into the boat? Be weary of older boats, and be sure to check everything on it. Have any pictures of it? By the sound of it, I would guestimate he wants somewhere from 3,000-5,000 for it?

i am assuming its an inboard/outboat.

boats suck up time and money

Boat stands for “Break Out Another Thousand”

24’ thats a big boat

we dock our boat in our backyard at the dock

my family has owned boats since well before I was born. We do not dock our boats but we have been considering it the past few years. The going rate is about $44 a foot for docking. There are other options like having your boat racked or doing whats called “park and launch”. With racking your boat is kept on a rack out of the water and when you want to use it you give the place about an hours notice. The rate for that is about $36 a foot. With “park and launch”, your boat stays on the trailer and is just kept at the marina. When your want to use it, you launch it yourself. I cant remember what they charged something in the 20s a foot I believe.

a couple places to check out are Peggy’s Harbor and All-State Marina for docking. If you plan to boat the pool that contains the point you will probably want something that is not too far away.

Also with docking, remember that you will have to pay higher gas prices for water refueling as opposed to car pump prices.

What all do you need to operate a boat in PA? Is a boating training course required?

Anyone born after January 1st, 1982 will need to take the PA boaters safety course. The cost is only 25 bucks and it is all done online.

I don’t know exactly what you meant as far as “operating a boat” but there are a lot of rules regarding things needed on your boat while you operate it. I have a 2007 PA Boaters safety handbook that you can have. Ill trade you it for a pittspeed sticker. haha :):slight_smile:

anything else let me know.

Jimmy

i’ve been out boating numerous times this year. its fun until you realize how gross the river really is. i think i contracted a disease from the last time i went out. i was on the tube and got thrown off and swallowed who knows how much filthy water.

24’ is definitely a pretty big boat. I’m looking at Nautiques which average around 17’.

If you aren’t familar with the usual rules on the water I would definitely get a book and read up. Alot of them are common sense, though.

One thing about docking (which is why we never did it) is the scum on the hull. We docked at Raystown for 2.5 weeks and lost 4mph. It was barely a film too. If you’re going to go to a park and launch talk to some other people that have their boats there. I’ve heard of shady things at some of em. (ie…theft mostly)

my parents dock theres in verona at outboard haven
i never knew about the boaters safety course being mandatory for boats it used to only be for jet ski’s

I have a dock in my backyard. :slight_smile: Freeee!

dude. ive been in the rivers since i was 3 years old! i never got shit! your crazy!

x234565876899800

Dont listen to them… IMO a boat requires less maintence than a car over time. 24’ is a really nice size, not too small, not too big. I guess some people have bad luck with boats, I never really have. I was going to buy one this year actually… I think im going to hold off and try and pick one up cheap this winter and put a little bit of work into it. They are so much fun… and there all about drinking, hence you would fit right in!

I dock in elizabeth, The Castaway marina…450 per year. I have a 1995 Sport Nautique (21’ I believe)

I lik being that far away from the city, since the water is arguably cleaner than elsewhere, and the traffic is pretty slim. I usually have the river to myself on weekdays.

Sounds like a really nice boat!