The wife wants a BOAT. Boat people come in.

I was in the navy, but have never been on anything smaller. My wife has hinted she would like one. SOOOOO that means I should look into one. i really dont know the market, what i want, need. But i do know my price range 10-12k.

so please help me with the motion of the…:angryhump:

what do you want to do on your boat? Speed? comfort? cabin space? fishing?

i am thinking about something maybe to tow a tube around, maybe hang out on. Maybe i just need to find a buddy that has one…

Buy a 3-4k boat, pay cash, and a year later when you’ve been on the water enough to know what you want (or if you even like the water) sell it for the same amount you paid and spend your 10-12k. Or better, buy a 2k boat like I did, run it for a year, spend a weekend REALLY cleaning it top to bottom and sell it for 3k a year later and buy what you’ve figured out you want.

If you plan on going out on the weekends I’d say 20 foot minimum. Even then you’re going to pound a lot because the river is VERY busy on the weekend. We pretty much only go out on the weeknights now, or if we do go out on the weekend we seek out some of the few quiet spots.

hah that would be optimal.

I do happen to have a lead on a nice maxim though. I believe the owner is asking 9,500. Boat is located in Chataqua county on the lake there.

It is a immaculate. I have been on the boat many times and have gone tubing and wakeboarding off it a whole bunch. PM me and I can try and get more details.

Don’t buy a jet boat. Everyone i know that owns one complains about the problems they have.

Buy a small 18-19ft bowrider (used obviously) to start off with. If you like the hobby and don’t mind how expensive it is you can then upgrade in the future.

Boat= Money Pit in the water.
Our seasons are too short. That whole saying about the two happiest days in a boaters life are the day you buy it and the day you sell it are true

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1997-Maxum-Runabout-2000-SCL-10763606

any thoughts?

:word:

:lol: :word:

maxums are very sea worthy boats. Mercruiser motors are the best(imo). It is kind of old. Remember though, that its nice to have a small cabin(fucky sucky on the boat ftw!), but that leaves the back of the boat rather cramped. Bowriders have their advantages and their disadvatages too. Its nice to have that seating area, however when it gets rough and water starts coming over the front, it won’t be so cool.

here you go. There’s even a spot for a baby seat…somewhere.

You need to determine if you want a cuddy or not. If you are thinking of fishing out of it open bow is the best way to go. If not, its really up to you. That maxum you posted looks solid and it’s priced right. Thats about what your going to get for that year and that condition. I suggest you find some friends with boats and try going out with them once or twice to see what you like or don’t like. Some people don’t like the open bow because its so open, some like it, etc. Most boats are fine for tubing/water skiing.

Well before you start looking for boats, ask your wife what she wants to get out of it. And you as well.

When I was younger, we had a Sea Ray I believe. Never had problems running or anything. It had a cabin, with 2 “bedrooms” underneath. Well, one big bed when you walked down the stairs, and a little back room. It was nice when my parents wanted to get away. They’d stay over night out on the lake. It was also good for tubing, because it had power. The back of the boat also had enough room for about 6 adults, plus the driver.

Here are some boats I quickly looked up. Examples of what you’re gonna get with 10-12k. Or even a little less.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/boa/753667676.html No cabin
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/boa/749811194.html Cabin
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/boa/748204851.html Cabin

thanks dear.

please for the love of god DO NOT buy a bayliner

please explain?

poor quality, not a sea worthy vessel

you motorboatin’ son of a bitch

what can I say? it is in my blood