Body Work

ok, so i gotta pump out some minor body work to get this damn car finished up this spring.

i am trying to come up with a plan of action.

right now i need to get some info on sand paper.

What grits do i use for the following

-Shaping body filler
-Finishing body filler
-Prepping the car for paint
-Wetsanding a single stage paint job(i understand u must do lots of steps with different grits)

Also another thing i meant to ask. what is required of a compressor to run a random orbit sander. i have a turbine compressor for a spray gun and a 2hp 11 gallon comressor for other stuff.

HRK? focusinprogress? anyone?

ok, for sandpaper…i HIGHLY recommend “sandblaster” brand sand paper. for shaping filler…start out with the 80, then when you start getting close to the body line step down to 120, then 320. then grab yourself some “high build primer” by duplicolor. once that is dry wet sand with 400 grit, then 800 grit before you base coat.

after you base coat, if there is orange peel, start at 800 grit wetsanding, and then step down

polish and enjoy.
if there isnt bad orange peel start at 1000grit

perfect, thanks man

Make sure you have good blocks, can’t stress that enough!

air tools pwn for body work…

good sanding blocks?

what kind should i get?

You can use an orbital sander and a straight-line sander for the filler. DuraBlock makes a ton of good shit, like the round blocks and the 2/3 block - it’s made from a tough foam that gives no ripples. Uses the paper right up, too.

i like using a body block from harbor frieght to get the major sanding done, then down to a 3m autozone hand block, then i go into plain sanding by hand

i hate using electronic sanders on bodywork, they can screw up just as fast as they work well, and then you have to add another layer
if you put a tiny bit of pressure in one “corner” on a random orbital, you get hard swirl marks and low spots from the roundness of the pad, its fucked me a few times. i stick to doin it myself…best way to keep your eye on how much material is coming off