Tips/how to sand a car

I’m planning to do most of the prep work myself before I get my car painted. Some parts where I dont think I can handle the body work I’m going to let the shop do it, just so I dont end up with bubbled up paint and what not. Anyways I’ve got a “random action orbital sander” with some 120 and 220 grit sand paper. I hear you have to “wet sand”. Anybody have any tips/know hows of this procedure as well as any other things I should be aware of. I really want to save all the money I can, so instead of people telling me to just get the shop to do it, that’d be a no go.

Thanks in advance

-Foz

ps. I dont want to use chemicals either…

sorry, this should be in the FAQ section.

It might do better in the tech section.

Moved.

anybody???

I go to school for car painting as a hobby so I know alittle bit. Before you start preping I want to ask you some questions.
1.) Are you going to use Enamel or Urethane (Base Coat, Clear Coat)
2.) What kind of primer a you using? (I recommanded one wet coat of etching and 2 medium wet high build Urethane)

No it shouldn’t be. FAQ is for tips and advice. This is a question.
When there is enough information and advice, it will be edited and go to the FAQ.

1. no idea, I’m not going to be the one painting the car…
  2. dont know either…

if you got suggestions let me hear them. I basically want to save all the cash i can, so what would you suggest I could do myself besides paint.

120 grit is to course of paper, thats usually used for feather edgeing or sanding 2 stage putty. If the car is being painted in single stage paint 400 grit would be best for that. If the car is getting painted in base clear you can start off with 400 grit and then go to a finer paper like 500 grit then 600. If your car is being painted base clear the preping and body work has to be mint or you’ll ever imperfection. Water sanding is usually done after the car is painted, what that does is gets ride of orange peel and gets rid of dust that has got into the finish. Ever paint job gets dust in it.

could i not go over it with a course paper to remove rust bubbles and what not then go over it in a finer paper?

yes but,anywhere you use course paper like to sand out stone chips or where your body work is done your going to need to prime over top or the paint will sink into the scratches. Besure to use a primer with zinc in it. At my shop i use all RM(basf) paint. There DP26 power fill primer is the best but is very pricey.