Paint Q

So the racecar needed paint pretty badly because it was missing paint, had exposed body filler, and some very small patches of surface rust. Originally intending to roll some thinned out Rustoleum, I had cheap and easy in mind. I ended up shooting some single stage acrylic enamel (Nason from CarQuest) over the whole car. Primed the bare metal, scuffed the rest of the paint, spot putty and primer on a few choice locations. The paint looks great, but does have a few “trouble areas” I’d like to deal with. To avoid too many VOC fumes entering my house and poisoning my 2 month old son, I shot the car in my driveway. A few bugs and other miscellaneous pieces of debris ended up in the paint. Buffing with 3M rubbing compound did nothing to remove them, but did make the rest of the paint even shiny-er. Is wet sanding going to remove the rest of the spots? Anything I need to be careful of when sanding? Do I just hit the high spots, or does the whole car need to be done to make it even? Will I need to spray another coat (2 wet coats already on there)?

Not worried about the car being perfect, just wanted a descent cheap paintjob before I put all the stickers and decals on the car.

wet sand with 1000+ sand paper… only hitting the high spots are fine. Since you don’t have a clear coat…you’ll be fine to sand off as much as necessary as long as you don’t go down to the primer/base metal.

I recommend “3M Imperial Glaze” to buff to a shine though.

I forgot to mention, the it’s a metallic color, does that matter?

yes slightly…depends on how well mixed or how evenly the metalic was sprayed on the previous coats. If you the 2 coats are different for some reason, you will notice a difference in the metalic flake.

Any time you wet sand a non clear coated car you are removing paint.And that means it will end up less paint in that area and you may see a difference in color.Also in a metallic paint the some of metal flake will also come off.So you may end up with see threw or noticable spots that you wet sanded.I would sand the spots with 1500 - 2000 grit paper taking care to not remove alot of paint.Chances are you will not be able to get rid of them.

Real light pressure with 1200 grit paper (wet) and it definitely looks worse than before I started. Buffing isn’t getting any of the scuffs out. Any debris that ended up in the paint is gone though. Try another coat or two of paint in a few days.

If you are talking about the sand scratches go over it with 2000 paper then buff it.The scratches will come out,its just the 1200 scratches are to deep.

thanks, i’ll give it a try!

looked slightly better, but still required more time buffing than i would have liked. so i scuffed it up and painted it again. this time, a lot less debris!