Engine bay Painting...

So finally my project begins…This weekend ill be painting the engine bay.

Stitch welding was done by previous owner so i would like to clean it up.

My friend has a spray gun and compressor so im going to attempt this, prob with his help. I’m looking to do a pretty clean job.

Any tips would be great, this is what i have in mind,

1.Sand original paint, so paint will stick, with high grit paper??
2.prime
3.sand, what grit is best?
4. paint, how ever many times i feel.
5. wet sand?
6 clear coat.

What do you think? Too much sanding that ill hate myself?

from what i understand, when you sand, try not to hit the bare metal…the old factory paint does provide some protection against rust.

I’ve never painted an engine bay for…but the paint is a lot more tough due to the temperatures that it is exposed to…therefore a i would guesstimate a grit of anwhere of 80-120 or so?

Although IMO, you don’t have to be too engrossed in sanding, just make sure you get the right paint, and not the crap you get from canadian tire. Actually go to the paint depot and get them to mix you a can. You will need a compressor for this, but trust me, the results will be well worth it. Also, be careful with the paint, as the hardening agent is what causes lung cancer in most painters

first of all if u dont strip everything off it wont be bling but ether way get 220 grit and some 310 and steel wool and some engine degreaser some alcocol prep stuff then degrease power wash alcohol prep then do the 220 just to scratch the surface nice and even then the 310 i think its 310 the black one then steel wool or thin grit scoth bright pad wash really good tape off what u dont want to paint and go for it. if ur worryed about heat get the caliper paint or some thing for high heat as for clear coat some paint needs it and some wont