Do I have sh***y paint or what?

Hey guys I had paint from another car on my bumper and sanded it down lightly with 800 grit and cleaned it off and can clearly tell where it was sanded down.

What am I doing wrong? As far as I know i should be @ clear coat level and it would be pretty hard to tell i sanded it down at all.

In before haters:

FUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFU

Why didn’t you use clay bar???

Edit: You dry sanded your bumper? :lol:

Edit Edit: 800? :lol: 1000 to 2000 is what most people wet sand clear coat with

Next time try a belt sander.

Yikes.

Yeah, you needed a clay bar not sand paper.

:frowning:

Ugh just sell me your car super cheap before you ruin it please.

fuck…i can’t stand this guy.

Agreed.

IB4"youmad?"

What’s your offer?

You MAD?!!?!??!!? BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

To answer the question in the title of this thread: Yes, NOW you have shitty paint.

:rolljerk:

You should have tried other means to get the paint off before going straight to sanding. Also you should not have dry sanded the paint, wet sanding is a technique used in the detailing world and works great in the right hands. Wet sanding is used for removing deep imperfections that cannot be removed by other means. Always try least agressive methods first than work your way up. Also after wet sanding the surface is going to look cloudy so you need to bring the shine back up with a d/a (porter cable is a d/a).

You should have posted on here what you should do since you post all of your other questions on here.

lol

wow

pics?
Fast lacquer thinner or clay bar for paint transfer

if you sand anything you will have to buff it out, 1500-2000grit depending on the clear coat damage. 1000 is still very rough for clear coat.

A pic would help to see how much damage was done.If you did go threw the basecoat(the color of the car) your screwed.If not you should get some 3M microfinish rubbing compond and buff it out.Chances are theres no clear left on it but if you can buff it without breaking threw the basecoat it will shine again.You may have to take some 1000 to 1500 grit wet paper to get the scratches out though.

Next time just use a razor blade to carefully scrape the paint off. It will turn out much better. :tup:

Dumbest fuck ever.

800 grit is incredibly coarse for automotive sanding and refinishing. 3 digit grits are commonly only used in blocking down primers (which will then be refined) and for scuffing metals prior to priming etc…

Paint transfer - you do not sand, ever. You should be looking to try something non aggressive, clay will often do the trick. Sometimes you can resort to a paint cleanser(no, not laquer thinner) or even a mild polish or light compound by hand as the mechanical action of the abrasives will remove and work the paint away from your paint.

Typically unless it is a lacquer based paint, lacquer thinner will probably not help with a high solid OEM based paint.

Even with something like 2000 grit or 3000 grit you will be able to tell where you sanded(im sure it looks grey and hazy/cloudy correct?) simply because of all the brand new straight line essentially scratches you put in with your 800 grit. I can’t imagine you cleaned the area properly before dry sanding did you? You may be dealing with more contamination now ground into your sanding marks. At this point you could try to work out of the 800 progressing to 1500 then 2500 and 3000 but considering you more than likely used your fingers instead of a backing pad you not only are at the level of the clearcoat you are within the clearcoat. If you can live with some tracers and some goofy looking scuffy stuff you could probably start to work out of your cloudy haze by hand depending on what you have available to you. You probably took off a fair bit of clear with that as well so be forewarned.

Good luck getting 1500 grit scratches out by hand you may want to VERY conservatively work your way to 2500 grit or even higher for a better chance at removing the 800 grit marks.

What is with everyone thinking sanding is the way to solve everything? And then “just give it a quick buff”. “There, fixed.” As if its that simple…

Brooklyn what kind of car is this?

can we have a dumbest member award/metal thing… i really wanna see this guy get it

Where are the pics?

I think a lot of your posts are made up. Atleast, that just what I tell myself to keep from hating you.