painting your engine bay...

Now that I have the engine and tranny out, im starting to clean up and wire-wheel all the old paint and dirt out of the engine bay, for those who have done this, what type of paint would you recommend, and how many coats did you have to do before everything was looking the way out wanted it? My 240 is gunmetal flake, and was planning on doing the whole engine bay gloss black with a couple layers of clear coat.

POR-15

what i did was wire brush all tha rusted parts down to bare metal, then use this product called rust killer (found at cdn tire) paint tha once rusted metal, then as for tha rest of the engine bay just give tha old paint a light sand, then prime it with motomaster primer with tha scratch filler stuff. sand that down after its dried then paint until you are satisfied with it.

remember to paint light coats and take your time for best results***

then clear coat it.

well thats my method. hope this will help.

a wire brush is great…but a grinder is is even better…get that rust down to bare metal or else is is easily oxidezed again and will break out

POR is great and all, if you don’t mind seeing brush strokes all over where you painted it, and it’s by no means cheap at all.