Bought A WireLESS Router.....peeps usin it.

I noticed that some of the ports are “in-use” that I am not using. Is their anyway to prevent this (is their a unit to buy?)
Also, what are the ill affects of others “mooching” off mine? …viruses, slow my sh!t down…ect?

Thanks guys.

If u make it secure there wont be anyone mooching…what make and model did u get

WEP

I had the same problem. I was getting terribly slow speeds, the I looked at my users section on my router setup and there were like 4 other people I didn’t know using it.

Linksys Model No:WRT54G
I had a friend stop by to help tune my car…he got on my internet from his laptop in secs in my driveway.:frowning:

To keep normal people out you can hide the SSID…Turn on WEP and turn on MAC address filtering…

That being said…I can get by all 3 of those things in about a hour.

well that just makes you a huge fucking nerd justin

MAC address filtering works best, but yeah, if someone really wants to get through, they will.

yeah…u mutha flugga

Now, anyway…how would I do those thins…nerd (justin)?

lol :word:

lol well the good news is I was able to e-mail you the scans right away;)

ass monkey.

Its not like you can’t change the MAC address :slight_smile:

Boy did I have fun in NYC…cracking wep keys.

I would just set it up to use a wep key. basicly a password you need to connect to the network and it encrypts the traffic.

Edit: It just annoys me when kids on forums are like w00t I have an ultra secure wireless network its unhax0rable…because they turned on a few options there linksys comes with…same thing with business customers I talk with about their networks.

OK…I might have to just have u doo it for me. :stuck_out_tongue:

WEP is junk, use WPA(2) if available

how does that MAC address ish work…does each computer have its own…and how do i find it

Each Ethernet card/wireless card has its own unique hardware address…you can make a access list on most routers to allow only certain ones. That being said you can spoof them and get around that but this will block your neighbors and other random people.

i should be able to find my laptops MAC address by doing???

LOL. i <3 people like this. i haven’t paid for internet in about 2 years because of my neighbors. :tup:

lol my laptop is on someone elses wireless connection lol. <3 WEP its so easy

-run > type “cmd”
-when the black prompt comes up type “ipconfig /all”
-your mac address will be labeled as physical address

or

-open up network connections in the control panel, double click the device you want to know the mac of… Local area connection is ethernet, 1394 is firewire, then wireless (duh)
-after opening up the device you want click the support tab then click the details button.

• and again physical address is the computers mac

again there is no point in that if you don’t have any geeks living near by, and still they can use air snort and view what the WPA key is since everything is transmitted via plain text.

whats really fun is sitting in capen, cause lord knows no one uses the VPN client to secure the wireless connection, and getting anything you want.