BOV placement

i am thinking about redoing part of my intercooler piping part of which has my BOV on it. i have my BOV close to the throttle body now and was thinking about moving it further away for the lact of room that i have under the hood. now i was told that it is better to put the BOV close to the throttle body so that not a lot of air has to reverse to go out the BOV is their any truth to that. i want to move mine closer to the intercooler, is it really a problem from moving it further down the piping?

actually u want the BOV as close to the turbo as possible, not throttle body, your trying to prevent air from reversing the impellers

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5693&highlight=bov

this is a topic of much debate. no matter where you put the BOV, it will do its job

supposedly putting it near the throttle body give better throttle response by retaining SOME pressure in the pipes

thats a nice little write up there

ok so now i have another question. i kind of want to buy a new BOV preferably the tial one and i noticed that it is 50mm, so all that is for basically is just to release the pressure faster i am guessing?

Tial products main purpose are racing applications. 50mm is designed for large turbo high boost applications. Good for them that their name became a buzz word because now you see them on just about every street car. Don’t get me wrong it is a great product but IMO it is not the best choice for street applications. You would be better off IMO with something like a 1G DSM or JDM EVO MR bypass valve. Those two are proven components and would be plenty for your application and would be cheaper as well.

got ya thx

bigger is not just for high boost. its also for larger turbos running low boost (or should i say proper boost and not being over spun). the larger BOV can release the higher volume of air coming from a big turbo. the same is true with WG’s.

i know you know this, but i wouldnt want a noob reading this and assuming DSM BOVs are a 1 size fits all on street apps.

ive got a dsm bov & flange if ur interested

Correct, DSM/EVOs are not a one size fit all application but for most of what I see come through the door I could recommend something that would work a little bit better. In his particular setup this would be his best choice IMO.

agreed

max i would will be running its around 17-18 PSI with a t3/t4 so its not a huge turbo. i think ill got with the turbo XS RFL BOV then

That’s the BOV I have on my car. I’m very happy with it. It sounds great and seems to work perfectly as it should.

im placing my new bov right near the turbo i mean if it works for one of the biggest turbo companys(full-race) right now it works for me.

As close to the throttle body as possible, that is where the air builds up first, and you want to keep the air in the turbo and intercooler moving, which is the original reason for the BOV. Get the proper size valve, if its too big it will flutter because it dumps the air too fast.

closer to the Turbo = save the turbo
closer to the TB = keep a little psi

i have mine right after the compressor…

its good to see you know why you should put it there, and you’re not just a sackrider. :wink:

i don’t know why they aren’t making turbos with an intgrated BOV like porshe used to do. they make internally gated turbos why not add an internal BOV. it would make it easier for OEM to use them on cars.

lol i know why its suppose to be there you big silly. its louder DUH!. on a serious note, when u have the bov on closer to the TB you run the risk of sending the air back to the turbo causeing comp surge. putting it near the turbo will dump all that air once the TB closes and the air on the TB side will loose pressure trying to come back through the IC, therefore helping with comp surge. the only reason a BOV is on a turbo system is to save the turbo from comp surge. most drag cars dont even run a bov

on that note there is a guy on h-t that welded on an alumnim pipe with a tial flange to the compresso houseing.