BOV sound

Alright, so I have the Greddy type R bov. For some reason I dont really like the sound too much. It is a “woosh” sound. I am looking for something with a little more “chirp” or super sequential, or a little louder. Is there any sort of adapter I can put on the Type R? Does anyone know of any really good quality bov’s that have these types of sound.

I am asking for opinions here in car chat, and then I will probably do a WTT: bov’s in the for sale section or something.

Vids with sound, or even sound files would be sweet.

I have a type r on my sr and it chirps really loud. I hope you know, you can adjust it. Also, check for any vaccum leaks, I found that if I have a vacuum leak, the BOV will not chirp at all, and is more of a whoosh.

I hear the old school Blitz SS are loud. I have one but it’s not gonna go on anything for a while. :frowning:

Try looking them up on eBay.

http://240sx.cubicdesign.com/images/misc/bov.jpg

greddy type s chirps
same with newer hks SS

Greddy Type S and HKS SS are very High Pitched Chirpy Sounding

Blitz Super Sound and TURBO SMART RFL’s are really loud but with a really deep whoooosh sound.

My buddy has the Blitz on his 95 240 with SR20 and it sounds hot.

Yeh I think Bing has the Greddy type s on his car, and the chirp sounds pure sweet. I have never heard the HKS Super sound though. Is it one single blast or multiple like a super sequential?

Are there any differences between the actually performance of the BOV with regards to sound? I dont really think so, but I have never actually found out for sure. eg. The type S and type R perform the same way, the sound is the only difference. correct?

Well, SS = Super Sequential. I’ve never heard one, but I would assume it would sound that way if it is one.

The outlet is much bigger on the Type-R, and it is able to hold higher boost

Isn’t the chirping sound compresson serge? I have a Rotora its nice and quite. Thats what I like.

no, chirping is more like you’re taking a chipmonk by it’s tail and hitting smacking it against the ground… i hate chirping bov’s

and Mr. Zero, stop being a ricer :slight_smile: Live with the Type R

My Type S sounds awesome IMO…its recirculated and still pretty damn loud

My XS RFL is one loud-mean, mofo. Sound like a sonic bomb.
You have to vent it to atmosphere to get the true effect. Notice that your
car will backfire tho.

I find the type r/s sound like tweety birds.

WEAKSAUCE :smiley: jk

-deez

Do you guys all just vent to atmos?
Do you find it fouls your plugs etc? (from going rich) or is it not really as bad as people make it out to be?

My HKS SSQV does not make my car run very rich at all when i get off the throttle and its atmosphere

damnit who edited my post!!

I have a Blitz ss and man is it loud! When i took my car off the road in Nov, i was running stock boost (6.5 psi) and this thing was still incredibly loud. As of now its just venting into the atomisphere and i have no problem with plugs. I was told if i recirculate it i will get a fair bit better gas milelage. Any truth to this? (is it a noticeable amount)

Yeah, I think this whole “vent to atmo bad with MAF” business is made up. Or just doesn’t apply to our MAFs. The way it was explained to me (and what made me use a recirc) was that the MAF will “lose track of air in the system” so when it vents, you will run “pig rich, stall, die … implode”

I think this was actually people mis-diagnosing the problem. SOME atmosphere-vented BOVs will leak at idle. While idling, the vacuum signal is strong enough to crack open the BOV. This will cause crappy running/rich conditions. On a MAP car, the computer could care less, so it doesn’t affect it.

My 1G DSM BOV is set to vent to the atmo, and yeah, it does bleed a bit at idle. This is causing some issues. But I had an autotchnica (el cheapo) on it before that, and it ran fine. I took it off because it wasn’t loud enough, and leaked at anything over 12psi.

I disagree with the ATMO+MAF thing for one simple reason. The MAF samples very quickly, and often … like 10 times a second or more.

That would have you running rich for all of 1/10 of a second.

Yeah that makes sense to me, that’s why I wasn’t sure how it could possibly cause the problems people claimed it did…

Set your BOV at full soft and run it like that for a bit. You’ll love the whole backfire/bog/stumble routine. If it’s set up tight enough then it usually isn’t a problem.

if you’re dropping the car into neutral as soon as you lift off then you deserve for your car to stall and die.

http://www.blowoffvalves.com/

Yummy to the Type-S on the Supra (3rd one i think).

Hope this link helps u make your decision as it took me like 2 hours to find.LOL

Cheers!

Graeme
KVR Performance