Buffalo News overstepping their bounds?

http://www.buffalonews.com/static/multimedia/power_failure/payroll_2005.pdf

This is linked on the front page of the Buffalo News website.

Sure its all obtainable through the correct means, but is it necessary to post all of these employees names and salaries? I bet there is a shitstorm at the power authority right now.

…But damn those people make some money. $40k for a tour guide? $50k for a janitor? $$$

public knowledge.

our paper did this 2 years ago… it was nice to know my best friends dad was #2 on the list :wink:

they did that before with the school district too. I don’t think it’s wrong especially when speaking about where county $$$ are going.

yea they did that shit with my dad too.

holy god… there are a lot of people making a lot more than they should be making…

hell ill be a tour guide and a janitor for 90k a year

Edit: i coulda skipped college an been on my way to six figures for leading tours and cleaning toilets

haha +1 to that.

I know its public knowledge, but I think its a bit excessive to have it as a front-page list. In my opinion they should have just posted salary ranges for positions, at most. If someone cared enough to go look up detailed information then thats their prerogative. Individuals names contribute nothing to their story.

I work with payroll from a budget standpoint at my job, and it is among the most sensitive information at the company. The dichotomy that exists here is a bit staggering. Think about if the news posted all of the publicly available information on you on the front page of the paper.

I agree, but someone at the power plant must have seriously pissed off someone at the buffalo news. this has personal written all over it.

^totally agree

yeah, somebody pissed in someone else’s cornflakes for sure.

I think they need more stories like this. If your salary is paid by the tax payer, and your salary is ridiculous like these, you should be on the front page. This state is in the mess it’s in because of operations like this, and it’s time every news agency start shining the spotlight in the deep dark closets of NY’s wasteful organizations.

I completely agree that these salaries are ridiculous and that something should be done about them. However, janitor Bob or accountant Kelly didn’t pick their own salaries, and to them it is just their job. These individuals happen to work at an institution that is the story, but on an individual basis they are not the story. The printing of individuals names was 100% not necessary for the news story, and was obviously done because someone pissed off someone else.

Could you imagine the drama that would ensue at your office if a list of every employee’s salary got circulated around for all to see?

i hate, because i want. nice story i can not wait for the backlash

wow that is one hell of a payroll I wonder how much NYS gets.

I don’t think they are that outrageous. Most of those people work and live in westchester county, one of the most expensive counties to live in in NY. Those salaries seem to be on par with what people in similar positions make in the area.

I agree with JayS for once…

David Moskowitz put in a shitload of OT not to mention got a snky $10k.

:tup: to him

Welcome to the dark side. :tup:

Mgr of network services 110k w00t I wanna work there