Building a new system...have some questions

Oh. I’ll just get the cap. It looks cooler. Haha.

I give up… Thank God I don’t work on cars full time anymore…

What I meant by looks cooler is it’s got a blue readout which matches the blue lighting of the amp. $65 isn’t a huge deal for me, and if a cap can be used as block but also store some power for when it is needed (the purpose of a cap I guess), then even better.

http://smiliesftw.com/x/eekfacepalm.gif

Sorry for wanting to have some blue in my trunk. lmao. Didn’t know that was a bad thing to want.

From what I understood…a cap can be used as a block. Problem solved.

http://smiliesftw.com/x/eekfacepalm.gif

Moving on…is everything else with my plan okay?

no… the cap is NOT a distribution block… if i was more patient id sit here and explain to you that how you described doing things sounds like you’re monkey fucking a football. you dont run ANY wires down the center of a car. you need ONE distribution block for power, one distro block for ground and IF you want to run the capacitor (which im assuming you will because it has shiny lights on it) you run that AFTER the power distro block for the power heading to the SUB amp only. i will repeat THE FUCKING CAP ISNT A DISTRIBUTION BLOCK. NEXT, you only need 3 sets of rca cables. NOT 6. ONE FOR SUB, ONE FOR FRONT, AND ONE FOR REAR… SEE… THATS 3. we can count now cant we?.. ya know what… fuck it… it can be trial and error for you in attempting to assemble this system but when people are trying to clue you in its like you dont comprehend the simple path we’ve basically drawn out… good luck on your future fail.

Yeah, thats 9-wire… I bought a roll of 100 feet when i did my car, and only used 20… so I have ALOT left over…

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/hwy836/SPEEDWIRE2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/hwy836/SPEEDWIRE1.jpg

Don’t run ANY cables down the center of the car? And why not? That contradicts everything I’ve heard on every forum I’ve been on.

3 x 2 = 6. “We can count now can’t we?” I didn’t say 6 sets, I said 6 RCA’s. If you want to get technical and shit, be my guest. Sorry for not speaking your language.

One guy says I can use the cap as a DB, another says I can’t. Wtf gives? Can I or can I not? Is a DB really better than a cap? Does it even matter?

And wtf is with the attitude? I didn’t say crap to you or anyone else. I was looking for some help. I want it to look good as well as function (hence the cap being used as a DB because it also works with my theme), I don’t want DB’s everywhere and a cluster of wires. Sorry for not being a professional installer like the rest of you guys.

Mods can close this thread. Thanks for the “help”. Peace.

you arent comprehending what everyone is telling you…

there is no 3x2 as far as rca’s go… its 3 RCA’S… NOT 6.

a cap IS NOT a distribution block… you do NOT use it as such.

this is more complicated than you obviously should be handling yourself.

you NEVER run wires down the center of the car. #1 its tacky as shit, #2 its EASIER to run them down the outsides… power and remote turn on wire down left side (driver side for your sake) and you run the THREE rca’s down the right side (passenger side, just to make sure you knew the difference between right and left) #3 unless you plan on either lifting the carpet or slicing it to hide the wires, they will be visible if run down the middle of the car… NOT COOL… if you run them down the sides they can be tucked BEHIND the carpet on either side thus making them “invisible”… another reason to NOT put stereo wiring down the center of the car is thats because thats where the main bulk harness is run for the vehicles fuel pump power supply and all electrical wiring for the rear of the car (usually). you DONT want electrical interference infiltrating your audio… you seem to have some sort of preconceived notion on how to do this and you obviously haven’t a clue… hence why i asked you if you’d like help and you in no short terms told me to get lost… ive been building and installing systems in my cars for 10+ years now… mind you, i dont do it for a living like jim p does or elliot, but im pretty sure i have a clue how to wire this shit and you’re going about it all wrong… but… suit yourself.

Trav… You are both right with the RCA’s… You are talking about RCA as in (2) connectors per end per cable… He is talking about each end being a cable I.E. 6 RCA’s…

You are talking CABLES he is talking WIRES… Same but different!

if he doesnt know how to distinguish how to refer to rca’s he shouldnt be doing this install…

/thread

Lifting the carpet is not hard as it is only a 1ft section (between the rear seat and end of the center console) that gets lifted.

3x2 meaning 3 RCA cables with 2 plugs per cable. 3x2 = 6. Therefor, technically, it’s 6 RCA jacks. Sorry for confusing you?

The fuel harness (and a bunch of other wiring) runs on the right side of the car. Hence there is no room for many wires in that ‘tunnel’.

I don’t get what you’re going on and on about? The only question I wanted answered was how to connect the speakers (whether to CUT or SPLICE the wires). When a cap was mentioned (I wasn’t planning on using a cap or a DB), I got curious, looked at em and decided it wouldn’t hurt to have it.

Do you even know the interior setup (wiring and such) of a stock Maxima? You clearly seem to be talking about another car when you talk about wiring down the middle, etc. The only wiring down the middle in a Maxima is to the airbag computer. That’s it.

What are we arguing about again? This is getting lame.

do what you want, your car, your fuckups.

Actually, if you want to talk wires, theres 12. :smiley:

…and auto0utcast, a cap can be used as a distribution block, I’d like to hear your scientifical reason why you can’t, because you’re wrong.

Jim knows nothing about car audio, i wouldnt listen to a word he says…http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

The difference between using a distribution block and a capacitor as a DB is probably less than 100mV drop, not that big of a deal for regular street system.

But you should run the power and RCA wires separately.

I am.

Power is on the right side. RCA’s, turn on, and any speaker wires will be in the middle.

Systems suck, remove and go fast

/Thread =-)

auto0utcast is Travis, ofcourse he’s wrong.

Travis as in EG257WTF (?)