Buying a car in Maryland

I am probably buying a car in Maryland next week, and driving it back to NY the same day.

Does anyone know if I can get temp plates in either NY or MD?

I’m trying to keep everything legal, and I can’t make 2 trips down there for the car. Also the seller is not comfortable letting me use his plates for the day.

TIA

Call the DMV, they will give you a temp tag. You will probably need to fax them proof of ownership / purchase

make sure you get title notarize

I bought a car from maryland and the only way I could figure to do it legally was to get the title and get it registered with NY. Driving on the previous owners plates is the only way around it. AFAIK both NY and MD do not issue temp tags for this purpose. If there is another way, I’d like to see it.

there are ways to get temp plates if you get the vin and give it to your insurance company and give that paperwork to the dmv i believe you can get temp tags for it…ive never done it but i have been along with the rides before

or just trailer it

Thought there is something called transport tags, they are on like construction paper? Or are those the temp tags people are talking about.

there are, but maryland doesnt issue them to people from out of state.

i bought a car from there and just ended up trailering it

I’m going to be on the phone with NY and MD DMV’s most of the day tomorrow… and I’ll get my insurance set up too… hopefully I can have a solid answer by the end of the day.

This whole process sucks, trailering it back would be lame. Half the fun of buying this car is driving it home for the first time. :slight_smile:

One way or another, this car will be here next week.

Thanks for all the answers so far!

Yeah, I’m pretty sure NY and MD are the worst dmv’s to work with buying cars.

Ended up just finding a car in another state, from a dealer. The whole process will be 100x easier this way. I’m flying down Sunday to pick it up.

Thanks guys!

So it looks like you picked up an Exige…'07 Exige S I’m guessing?

Congrats. Only advice I have is break the trip into 2 days. I did a fly in and drive home in a single long 22 hour day when I got my GTO (from Wilmington NC) and was borderline delirious by the time I hit the 219.

PM’d

I have friends in Cincinnati, I’m planning on staying the night there. I don’t think I’d be able to make it almost 15 hours straight!