Buying a truck from plowing

Hopefully if everything works out I want to start a small side job business next fall with 20-30 clients so this being said I’m currently in the next month or two will be purchasing a truck. I have currently been looking at 08-11 silverados 2500 with the 6.0 since most duramax are out of my price range. I have came across a few F-250 diesels but in an honest opinion would a 1500 just be enough? Price range is under 25k.

I wouldn’t use a 1/2T if you’re plowing commercially.

I’ll 2nd what mike125k said… if you’re going to do more than yours and your neighbors house, then a 1/2T isn’t a good idea. It can be done, but will take it’s toll quickly on the truck.

Find a std cab 2500 4wd and you shouldn’t have any worries.

That’s why I was looking at 2500 silverados. I think the 6.0 will guzzle a little gas but paying 20-25k or add another 8 grand on top of that for a diesel .

The frame alone is worth more money when you plow.

My dad has an '04 2500 with the 6.0L and he gets about 13mpg; I have a '12 1500 (with the 6.2L and HD Towing package), and I get 13.9 average.

I know the 6.0 do suck more gas then the 5.3L plus all the extra weight of the 2500 frame and what not. I’m going to keep my eyes open just seeing if truck prices drop a little bit in the spring

You mentioned the phrase "a small side job business next fall with 20-30 clients ". As someone who plowed mostly commercial (and a good handful of residential lots), plowing is not a sideline occupation. Once you commit to a contract with a customer, you are tied to the business 24/7. Weather does not care when it wants to snow and customers don’t want to hear excuses why their lots / driveways are not cleared, especially when the shit hits the fan. There are some points I would consider before you take on your venture.

1. Don’t plan on going anywhere on vacation during plow season. You can have someone work for you as a “backup” driver but they really need to be experienced, RELIABLE, and know your properties and how to move snow and where it’s supposed to go. There are a lot of things that can go wrong with someone who doesn’t know how to plow and what to look out for. There can be a lot of hidden hazards under the snow and it’s easy to do damage.

2. Commercial lots are typically alot easier to do with less chance of backing into something or getting into tight spots. They are also vacant at night and all have the same general hours of operation (barring 24 hours establishments). Residential customers like to look out their windows and watch it snow wondering where you are and why you’re not there the instant the depth gets to 3".

3. Backup equipment is almost a must if you plan on taking on the volume you propose. Some equipment failures are easily fixed (blown hydraulic hose, bad solenoid, etc.) but more serious ones may require a shop, which most are not open 24 hrs. and when they are can be inundated with other people’s breakdowns and you are now “on the list”. Meanwhile, it’s still snowing and your phone starts ringing. If rates hit 1-2" per hour, in 2 hours you’ve got people calling.

4. For equipment, I would not go less than 3/4 ton. Most 1/2 ton trucks will not take the abuse, unless you are doing low volume and light usage. Snow can be a lot heavier than most people think and it doesn’t take long to get overpowered. I’ve plowed with a gasser and diesels and diesel torque is hard to beat. It all depends on what type of customers you are going after. Also, if you are considering more urban driveways, “long” trucks can become problematic as they have wider turning radiuses that aren’t as important in more suburban areas. Also be prepared to have at least one warning beacon. I had more than most emergency vehicles and people still didn’t notice me.

5. I carried an insurance policy that covered plowing operations. Many policies do not. Plow coverage can be higher due to the population of scumbag personal injury attorneys that like to sue for slip and fall injuries which usually occur where? While this may be more of an issue in commercial applications I wouldn’t put it past them to go residential. I’m sure BobbyG can speak to this. This also goes hand in hand with other costs such as fuel, vehicle and plow maintenance, vehicle depreciation, and staking lots prior to the season.

6. Keep a tight geographical area. Many plow operators do not take into consideration how long it takes to get from location to location. This becomes very painful when heavy snows happen during the day (rush hour traffic especially) when all the people with two wheel drive sporting bald tires create traffic jams where you have 4 wheel drive and can’t move to get from place to place. Also, it can be clear on one street and snowing like it’s free three streets over, so it’s hard to say "I don’t need to plow this morning because my house got a dusting last night. You may have to get up early just to “check it out” for yourself. I got caught like this more than once.

7. Contracts need to be specific, signed, and paid in a manner where you are compensated well before the end of the snowfall. When the snow stops, it gives people the opportunity to decide they really don’t need you anymore and they can find another “plow guy” next season. It’s a little harder to screw you over with a foot of snow out there.

All in all I’m trying to convey to you that it’s not about getting into a 4WD, stapling a plow to the front, and making some extra cash. It’s full commitment that knows no clock. There have been instances where I’ve been in the saddle 20+ hours over a 24 hour period. Don’t think it’s not physically demanding either. I typically had a neck of stone from constantly swinging my head around like a swivel and man handling a steering wheel. Please take some serious thought to what I’ve laid out before you think it’s something to do for quick cash or easy extra income.

^

Thanks for the input, it does make me second guess . I just get a lot of time off with my job so I become bored fast and enjoy labor work. My goal was to advertise in my neighborhood and surrounding but that was it so I wouldn’t be driving 25+ miles to driveways. I must say this winter was pretty bad compared to the last few winters but I will reconsider it the job idea.

do yourself a favor and don’t do it

How long would it take to recover the initial purchase price of the truck ($25kish you said) factoring in fuel, insurance, and equipment?

I have no idea how much plow service costs, I’ve never priced it.

That being said, this doesn’t seem worth the hassle.

It can get expensive fast. My work is on a small corner with about 15 parking spots in a L shape and we had quotes into the 1500+ for the season. Ended up going private from a customer that lives close though for way less. He has to plow anytime there is 3"+ of snow.

Right now they are offering up to $3500 cash back on 2500 diesels. I built a W/T 2500 standard cab with the plow prep and duramax. MSRP was $44250. After the supplier discount and cash back it was $37777. A nicely loaded LT 2500 in quad cab with duramax and plow prep came in at $52835. After discount and cash back it was $45419. Lots of dealers will honor GM supplier pricing right now, and if they don’t I can transfer mine. Go to this website right here:

https://www.gmfamilyfirst.com/ip-vpp/

Then click on “build & price” and select GM supplier price. Pick whatever vehicle you want and option it out. It will tell you what you’ll pay. This is a no haggle price. There is no discount for a Corvette, lol. Don’t click on GM Employee pricing or you’ll just get depressed when you see what they can get vehicles for.

It you get bored in winter and want your fill of snow removal come look me up next fall and you can work for me. Youd make more money working for me than you would plowing 25 resi’s on your own and not have to buy a truck, fuel or have insurance. I been doing snow removal forever and 1QIKZ hit the nail on the head. I hate hate hate residential plow accounts. I do commercial and took on only 2 nearby resi this year and they both getting dumped next yr. not worth the aggravation.

I only did the residential cause they were connected to the commercial. Not much choice really.