bye bye Dish Network DVR

http://thomashawk.com/2008/04/breaking-news-appeals-court-refuses-to.html

sucks for anyone using a DVR on Dish Network, you all are gonna get boned.

Um, wrong.

“We are disappointed that the Federal Circuit did not grant our petition for rehearing. The decision, however, will have no effect on our current or future customers because EchoStar’s engineers have developed and deployed ‘next-generation’ DVR software to our customers’ DVRs. This improved software is fully operational, has been automatically downloaded to current customers, and does not infringe the Tivo patent at issue in the Federal Circuit’s ruling.

Dish will eventually have to pay Tivo some money, but they’ll will probably drag this out in court long enough that Tivo goes belly up first.

not rly. they already updated / replaced that ish.

Some of the really, really old DVRs might be affected (i.e. the Dishplayer 7200) but anyone who still has one has been offered upgrades at virtually no cost. If they didn’t take it, then thats their own fault.

Any of the new(er) DVR’s won’t be affected (i.e. 501, 508, 510, 522, 625, 622, 722, 612).

Nothing like uneducated FUD and the comments in that thread… I don’t know who’s worse the Tivo lovers or the dish lovers.